I will never get on a skateboard without helmet

Could you be more irreverent? I wonder about you sometimes, I really do.

1 Like

My wife made me get a helmet after I said I was going to build a board. And I gave her the same crap I gave her when she said I need a helmet for riding a push board. Well fast forward to now I still don’t wear a helmet for my push boards but I do for esk8 because last year I had a crash and smacked my head and ended up with broken ribs bad road rash and a concussion but it would have been worse if I wasn’t wearing my helmet.

Guess I’ll need to send more waves then.
Wave 2 Commenced.

1 Like

I usually only wear a helmet when going for longer rides. On the way to work (3 minutes) I only go around 20km/h on very easy roads… but yeah you never know when it can hit you… so thinking about wearing a helmet as well for my ride to work

2 Likes

Do it bruv, crashing on the way to work is no fun, and doubly so without any pads or especially helmet. Wouldn’t be great to show up with a concussion lol.

2 Likes

yeah well… you always only consider the times nothing happened… but a helmet is there for the times when something happens… might start wearing one starting tomorrow

It is indeed

Fixed that for ya :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Helmet. Always.

Derek was built like a tank and used to rolling off falls in various hobbies. You never know when it’s gonna happen. RIP buddy

4 Likes

Jokes on you… yesterdays tomorrow is today

Would have been a great comeback…except you wrote it 3days ago :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Learning to slow down when needed will also make you safer when skateboarding. But there’s no denying that rolling at a great speed is an exciting skateboarding experience.

I think there are 3 categories of people:

1. The smart ones - wearing the helmet from day one
  2. Used the second chance after a serious crash (me)
  3. Can’t use the second chance after a crash
3 Likes

Well i didnt start on day one but learned from other ppls mistakes. I didnt want to end up in category 3 so i wised up…

1 Like

Some people think they look dorky with ppe, I knew of a lad from the airport, we used to load bags and taxi the aircrafts out et etc, very loud environment and he never wore ear protectors/defenders, thought he was too good to wear them.
years later he started hearing constant ringing, eventually it got loud enough that he hardly slept.

Fast forward a few months and he decided to get himself checked by doctors, loads of tests later he was told he has 2 choices, 1 is live with the constant ringing (he had permanent ear drum damage) and 2 is to remove the ear drums but this will mean he loses his hearing.

He couldn’t live with both options so took his own life.

Moral of the story is, ppe doesn’t make you less off a man

11 Likes

I think of this the opposite way, people that don’t wear proper ppe are so vain that there image is more important to them than their life. Not a good look.

3 Likes

Thats what stickers are for. No more dorky helmets. I encouraged my son to not be dorky and make his helmet cool cause “Your not riding without it!”

5 Likes

My worst fall was at jogging speed, on a smooth path, in a quiet park. I was looking at my battery level on my remote when I accidentally braked too hard, fell, and suffered a concussion. I couldn’t maintain balance getting up and was clearly disoriented. I composed myself for a few seconds and just sat on the side of the path for a few minutes mentally checking if I was fine.

Good thing I was wearing a helmet but the helmet was done for as it was flexing when I squeezed it a bit. I walked home and immediately bought a replacement online. I was reevaluating my cognitive functions until the next day but I eventually saw a doctor after two days (I was fine). I didn’t ride for a few more days just to be safe.

I scuffed up my backpack too so I still can’t figure out to this day how I fell and somehow landed on my back but hit the side of my head.

6 Likes

Hey well glad you were okay. I’m sure that fall was enough to never go helmet less. You probably would have died

2 Likes

The good thing here in Germany is that 8 of 10 bicyclers do wear a helmet
So you are looking more like an idiot without one :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes