I need better trucks...

Not if the cast aluminum baseplate cracks

I’ve had the pleasure of riding pretty much every type of truck on the market. Here’s my brief rundown on what i’d rec here.

If you need extra wheelbase or are upgrading a TKP/RKP build, get Savage1 TKPs. Phil has some stuff going on in his personal life and isnt making them rn AFAIK, but you may be able to snag some second hand. (I think @EDness may have a barely ued set for sale if you’re in the US)
They’re very stable, pretty wide and durable.

If you want RKPs, you can try BN270 with 10mm axles on a budget, but I find the Hoyt st ROSA trucks to be fucking amazing. They take the amazing ride feel of trucks like caliber 3s with the added stability of precision trucks. They are gahdam amazing. The BN trucks are also good, just not as amazing IMO.
If you’re gonna use the BN hangers make sure to get kingpins that are solid. The BN baseplates are solid,

If you have a deck with angled tips, hypertrucks are probably your best bet. They’re very stable if you set them up right (low angle in the back + the correct bushing setup)

6 Likes

This is especially true for aluminum, where there isnt a minimum fatigue stress limit - even with extremely low stresses, over time with enough cycles it WILL deform and fail, unlike steel, which has a stress under which it will never fail from fatigue.

3 Likes

Don’t think anyone has mentioned Luna 350s, but I love mine with the Boardnamics adj. baseplates. Super wide, 10 or 12mm axles available, and same profile as Apex Airs so you have plenty of compatible parts.

2 Likes

They are stainless, which I just learned haha

17-4 h900 to be exact

Yield strength of 17-4 h900 is 180ksi/1200 mPa.

Most people think of 300 series when they think stainless. Which would indeed be a lot weaker.

5 Likes

May you can learn about the NEW FKP Truck, with all CNC 7075 material.

In fact, almost all trucks can carry 280 pounds. It’s just that when we choose the bridge, we should pay more attention to its normal service life, flexibility and production technology. The CNC technology can strengthen the stability of the bridge, and it is not easy to break. but you need to see if the size matches.

You could still be fat under that tshirt bud. Get your nipples out

4 Likes

@Darkstar826
A pascal is a SI unit for measuring pressure. MPa is a megapascal, which is 1,000,000 Pascal.
One MPa = to about 140PSI (pounds per square inch). (just to answer your question)

Heat treated (h900) 17-4SS, (like @jack.luis mentioned Hoyt uses), is about the best material choice for our axels.
I also use 17-4 for the10mm savage1 trucks.
Good luck in your search.

5 Likes

Sounds like 10mm axles are going to be a minimum for you. The Savage trucks are very nice and are the most versatile handling trucks I own (I ride TKP, DKP and RKP). I would also recommend the 15.2" 10mm axle DKP trucks by Flipsky but at your weight finding the right bushings may not be possible.

2 Likes

Flipksy trucks… exactly… the 15.2 isnt the worst. I have a spherical bearing mod in mine and the turning is very smooth. 10mm axles as well. Depending on the mounts youll probably need a cross bar.

Edit: if you can afford go better.

Ya, this is kinda true. I’ve got new things going on shop/business wise, and kinda extra busy with that in my “free” time.
I do have 15 sets about ready, I just need to find time to finish the last couple operations on the hangers.

5 Likes

I would not recommend the flipsky 15.2". I had a set and ended up with a good 3-5 degree bend in my set from regular street use.

2 Likes

Mean girl indeed lol

1 Like

I agree with this as you are looking for something stronger. Stay away from cast aluminum, and or trucks made with questionable axel material. Seeing as you are running urethane wheels, that probably rules out channel and PKP trucks, so honestly I would recommend, in no particular order,
Hoyt RKP
Boardnamics RKP
Savage1 TKP

3 Likes

Hanger? Axle?

Across the hanger i believe. It was a gradual bend across the entire length.

Was the bend in the axles? How much do you weight?

150lb, bend was across the hanger.

1 Like

I weigh over 100lb more and have had no issues with “normal” use… i run pnematics though so it might help.

I was on pneumies too. Xcell 165, at 25psi.

2 Likes