I fell, still alive. But it hurts like hell. How to prevent this in future?

I’m curious, do you have any thoughts on half bindings, like the S2?

1 Like

two wheels is two wheels my man - Im no hater if you’re not in a cage you’re taking the same risk as I am.

I had a 15-20mph tumble back in 2016 that resulted in my Concours 1400 getting totaled and my clavicle breaking. Had I not been wearing my helmet or my jacket, my back, elbows and head would have been mangled given how far I rolled.

For sure, I’d much rather fall from + 4-7" off the ground than from however much higher my goldwing or diavel put my shoulders and if my trying to wheelie my mountain board is any example of the ‘fall’ characteristics on a board, beside my ego getting bruised and the wind knocked out of me its not so bad. But, all things considered; I’d rather go 100 on any of my bikes than 30 on any of my boards. Im just not used to it enough or know how to tune them for speed like that where they dont wobble in a way that makes me feel like they’re ready to jackknife one direction or the other.

3 Likes

i was carving up the back roads on my R6 about 60mph, hit gravel on a hard lean and flipped down about 30 feet off the side of the road (no guard rails lol), that was my worst wreck.

VERY NICE ride!!

harder bushings? but lower speeds not the best, i ride green and white riptides, i found i get the best of both worlds still super carvy but stable above 30.

1 Like

Glad you’re on your way to recovering.

This topic is also very important to me. I recently decided to get a new helmet for an eskate and ended up picking one from Kali when I saw it on sale. I recently started renting electric (sit down) scooters and was thinking to find something with a relatively small shell that’s DOT certified and could be used for both.

This is it: Shiva 2.0 – Kali Protectives

It’s a lot lighter than my motorbike helmet from Shoei. They have a few helmets with similar features and apparently have a crash replacement policy where they’ll send you a new lid if you send your old one back for them to study. I wasn’t aware of this brand until a couple of weeks ago, so I can’t really offer any personal experience yet. There are others like it though, and having that road certification makes me feel a bit better.

I’ve also been eyeing up these liners for breathability and abrasion resistance: Draggin Kevlar Underwear

4 Likes

One more note just in case: if anyone hits their head while wearing a helmet or drops it on a hard surface, they should seriously consider replacing it. Some manufacturers will X-ray your helmet for free. It’s important because fractures in the foam that usually makes up most of the bucket could cause it to fail when you need it not to and you can’t count on finding them via a visual inspection.

2 Likes

Oww :persevere: that one speaks to me. Surprise gravel has caused me to crash as well. Not much to do about it other than try to assume it’s where you wish it wasn’t and go slower than you want to (or with less lean angle on a bike).

1 Like

I assume harder bushings, actually going through and putting some of those “self balancing” beads in my inner-tubes would help as well. As it stands, most of my riding around is with my dog anyways and he’s not keen on 15+ mph sprints for long. When I’m riding solo I’m usually just chilling to some lo-fi and enjoying myself nothing insane. If I’m riding with one of my buddies (only guy in my town that I personally know with a mountain board) I’d like to ride faster but his board isn’t capable either so its a moot point for now.

3 Likes

Alpine Star makes all kinds of great body armor. The MTB and MTX lines are good for esk8 depending on how much protection you need.

2 Likes

That and sand are about the worst thing to hit, I think I could have strategically fallen but the I couldn’t avoid that drop off, that’s where the real damage happened on the way down.

All I can say is I’m glad I was wearing a helmet, it was not usable after that one, 2 cracks in it.

1 Like

in all seriousness you can hurt yourself a fucking lot, too, even on lower speeds like 3 or 5 mph. So good to be always padded up, doood :blush:

2 Likes

Both rides are very nice. I want to ride bikes again but the wife and I don’t have enough free time to enjoy just getting out like we used too to justify having a bike at this point in our lives.

I have not heard or seen a self balance bead, not asking what it is as I’m sure it’s just what you stated lol but what does that look like?

1 Like

Big agree, but the official line is that it’s gotta be replaced after basically any impact. Cracks or damage to the internal stuff that takes the bulk of the impact aren’t always easily visible, so if in doubt throw it out. Not an expert so feel free to correct me or point out if it’s just industry scare talk to sell more helmets, but just in case noobs haven’t been told this before

3 Likes

No exaggeration. It’s about the uncertainty of having cracks inside the shell. You really have to replace or X-ray to verify its integrity, otherwise you run the risk of the helmet not protecting you the way it should. That’s not to say that you won’t get any protection from a helmet you drop on concrete, but if you can replace it, do it for the peace of mind. Check the crash replacement policies for any lid you want to buy. I’ve seen them range from nothing, contact us and we’ll see, 20%-30% off, to free replacement.

4 Likes

they’re silica(iirc) glass beads that you put inside your tire/inner tube and the centrifugal force of the rotation will force them to the spots of the wheel that are out of balance and thus dynamically balance the wheel.

3 Likes

Check out this helmet, I know nothing else about it except it looks really cool and plays music.

Can you get a link/model name for those of us that dont use Instagram?

1 Like

Sorry about that, here is the link. It’s really nice from what what I read.

https://www.ruroc.com/en_us/atlas-3

Helmets are so hard, like besides going by the crash certs, it’s so hard to tell if they’re good or not haha

It looks dope tho

1 Like

Lot of good stuff in this thread.

• no to skateboard pads
  • yes to mesh moto jackets.
  • yes, (if you can handle it moto shorts) for hip/tailbone. d30 stuff is comfy.

I will add one counterpoint. for speeds above 15mph I don’t recommend park style skateboard pads. They are too bulky and move out of the way during a crash. protecting possibly initial impact but not much after. I’m using ICON Field Armor Street knee pads. i’ve crashed in them twice, and they stayed put and held up. And they are easy to put on and take off. (otherwise I’d wear them less… )

going to pile on, with yes mesh moto jacket with pads. I use the. icon mesh AF in sunny so-cal ( this weekend in 94f/34c heat. ). once moving… it’s as cool as anything else i could wear.

Also recommend hip and tailbone if you can handle it.

1 Like

That just means those are poor fitting pads. Properly fitted pads should never shift aside during an impact and subsequent slide.

1 Like