I fell, still alive. But it hurts like hell. How to prevent this in future?

A few days ago I had my first serious fall. Luckily I wore a full face helmet, and according to neurologyst it pretty much saved my life… That’s a good thing.

Why I am making this thread is because that was the only thing I had on me regarding protection gear. Reason why? It was extremely hot day air temp was 39 Celsius ~ 102F and we measured asphalt later that day to be 56c ~ 132F. I have lazy rolling hoodie but it was impossible to wear it, I would be dead from a heat stroke within minutes :joy:.

So, I would like some recommendations, what you guys wear as protection during those really really hot days. Those road rash wounds hurt and burn as hell. It is really painful.

I’ve learned my lesson, really can’t see me going for a ride without some additional protection in future.

Some pictures (be warned, not so pleasent sight)

Images

22 Likes

What made you fall? Board glitch out, or user error? Looks painful, I hope you get better soon!

Personally I ALWAYS wear gloves and a helmet. If it’s too hot for my padded hoodie, I ride more carefully and slower. If it keeps getting hotter every year though, I’ve heard nothing but good things about this shirt:

10 Likes

Thanks for kind words.

It wasn’t a glitch. There was a bump on a bike lane that I didn’t see. I was riding board with a thane wheels so it got my back wheels “ejected” upwards so i lost contact with the ground. I almost got away but a few meters letter I’ve encountered big wobble that threw me off the board…

I think if I were on a pneumatics that those wheels would compensate enough for me not to fall. I am seriously thinking of riding only pneumatics from now on since here in Belgrade roads are really really bad.

This shirt looks good, I’ll look into some more research tho.

11 Likes

Knee pad, elbow pads, gloves, and a helmet. If possible, anything that protects your skin. I’ve been there myself. Only fell about 3 times on PU wheels, so I decided to go pneumatics. I haven’t fell yet, but I’m always prepared.

8 Likes

Nasty scrapes, get well soon!

6 Likes

Ouh dude, hope you get well soon. Here are my tips

Always wear Helmet, kneepads and gloves minimum, then have 8 inch air filled tyres and bindings on your board :joy: - that will prevent a lot of accidents.

13 Likes

First of all great that you did wear a helmet. I sadly cant war a full face most of the time because that draws to much attention in Germany.

8" air tires really help a lot. If you add bindings you wont ever get ejected from the board. But you don’t need to go full mountainboard to be safe.
In my opinion the most important thing is paying attention to the road. If the road conditions are bad slow down and bend your knees a bit more to absorb the bumps.

I Always wear a Helmet and wrist guards.
Most of the time I also wear knee pads and elbow protectors. They are super scratched up and saved me from like 90% of all injuries. I always fall on my hands elbows and knees. the only thing im missing is protection for my hips.

The good thing about this combination is that you can just put them over whatever you are wearing or not wearing so they are fine even when its hot.

7 Likes

hope you could fully recover soon. you are lucky this time, keep more careful on the future.

I fell very badly a few years ago, then I never daring to riding fast again…, Eskate is not popula in china, I been riding on some cities, so far, never saw another rider. that makes the riding more danger, because car drivers will not expect longboard riders on the road.

12 Likes

Get a summer motorcycle jacket.
I wear mine even in 40C weather

12 Likes

This. tho I wouldn’t recommend them when riding a motor bike at motorway speeds.

3 Likes

True. They are more than adequate though for esk8 speeds.
In the end, average body armor you wear all the time is better than great body armor in your closet.

9 Likes

Was hoping lazy roller would make a super breathable hoody but thay seem to be doing more waterproof and all weather. I personally can’t see a market for clothing to ride in the rain but thay seem to sell well. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Why bother with them? There are hundreds of options from reputable companies for motorcycle protective equipment that is equivalent or better that anything else out there.
Not to mention in most cases one could walk in a shop and try them out without having to wait for months only to find out that the size was all wrong.

8 Likes

Fuck bro, that looks painful.
Theres no other advice except wear your stuff every time you go for a ride.
Leave the hoodie at home and get your elbow and knee pads, some wrist guards and a helmet and your are pretty golden.
When its to hot to ride, its just to hot to ride so get your board in the streets at night. :tipping_hand_man: :raising_hand_man:
glad you re ok so far, bro.
Heal up soon.
peace

3 Likes

I’m going to put in an odd vote against 8" tires. The most stable tires I have ridden on are 6" Six Shooters. I think they are less bouncy than larger pneumatics. Although I will take either over urethane for stability and comfort.

1 Like

I second the pad approach. I use nearly 20 year old skate hardshell elbow and knee pads, along with slide gloves, and they’ve allowed me to slide out most falls. There’s also lighter, more breathable soft pads for MTB and stuff, and while they won’t let you slide out a fall, they’ll still help a ton against road rash while being much more comfortable to wear normally.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your fall dude.

Breaking my humerus 2.5 years ago sucked.
I wasn’t even going fast… Just old and heavy…

My main piece of protection is the Fox Titan Sport jacket.

Here in Missouri it gets stupid hit in the summer…
Very humid on top of the heat.

In the middle of summer I can really only ride in the morning or evening.
Day and afternoons are out.

The Fix Titan directly against my body with a loose shirt over it is the most comfortable I can get in the heat.

It is not great.
But it is manageable.
And really helps to keep moving.

For this year I got these least knee pads for the summer instead of using my tsg dh pro.

The leatt is much more breathable.

3 Likes

OP hope you recover quickly, that looks brutal but thank fuck for full face helmets

I haven’t used bindings so I’m curious, doesn’t it make it more dangerous in city riding? I generally don’t go super fast in the city (I mean I can’t handle fast at all but not even fast by my standards), and there are lots of small moments where if I had been strapped in instead of being able to just take a couple steps off or jump off the board I’d have been in a much worse situation. Combination of lower speeds where it’s safer to get off, and unpredictable tricky riding, makes me think they’re not good for that. Interested to see if you use them in cities or there’s something I’m missing

Wow, dude…them Knee guards look damn nice.
I use Troy lee which are almost like that.

2 Likes

They are comfortable. That is for sure.
I do feel like adding an extra slide pad to the bottom outside…
I have not put them to the test…

3 Likes