I dont live in the US, I dont have 1000+$, BUT I WANNA RACE!

So you’d suggest a pre-built board over a DIY?
Simply focus on racing skill so that you won enough races that by the time your board fails you can afford a new one? :crazy_face:

At this price point, YES

Or an analog board if going fast is your desire as you’ve mentioned.

1 Like

Dont you think it would be of value for someone whos interested in racing to thoroughly know their gear and its limitations?

The syl08 is hard to do cheaper yourself. It was just an example. Sort of because I have one and is impressed of what it is.
Any board would do it I believe, but that’s a stupid answer to get as it takes the special out of it :slight_smile:
But I do believe that on the short tight tracks the gear isn’t that important. I guess kind of like photography. We can bye our self poor in gear but our riding / photography skill will be the most important factor. Just look at how evolve has been doing winning over insanely powerful boards.
Sure getting in to the nifty gritty of gear is existing but also empty out pockets quickly.

Pneumatics… if money is no problem the STB widened hubs with metroboards 150s otherwise just what ever. Anything will be south an improvement over PU that it’s ridiculous :slight_smile:
The good thing with pneumatics is that you can play with the air pressure to get it just right for you.

1 Like

any budget alternatives you could recommend?
I mean EVERYBODY who’s seen the STB and the three links wants that!
But its like asking for a F1 racer before trying a go-kart or something :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

First check out this amazing write up

2 Likes

@BillGordon can you help with the question?

1 Like

First off, thats one motor board.

Those small inrunners heat up really fast, we have some 50100s for our electric para and they get hot quick pushing no load.

Gears no good, the big one is injection moulded, it wont hold.

Not bashing actually, i like your idea, but 2wd is needed for racing because you will do a lot of cornering.

If you want “cheap” and are handy, weld your own board frame like @moestooge does.

Furthermore learn to accellerate on loose trucks and you are one big step closer too.

2 Likes

With the aforementioned budget, I would grab a Meepo V3 and focus on learning corner entry and braking points.

Even though it was far from the race world of Moe Stooge and friends, I won a race against some expensive boards on the hub version X1 Pro and would have won on a Meepo V3.

Hitting all your track points and reeling off consistent laps is the key.

7 Likes

Thanks for your input!
Any suggestions of other gearing that would work?

So lets slap another motor and esc in there: 75e + reciever 7 Euros + another battery 44 e

we are at 329$ ^^

1 Like

The other issue I want to bring up is the terrible brakes you’re going to have with that RC car esc. They’re light switches essentially with no real modulation or nuance, and brakes are more important in racing than acceleration.

2 Likes

I used that esc for my first build, brakes are good, borderline great but makes a horrible squeeking noise :rofl:
Choose it cus its cheap and I’ve tried it for some 50-100km (although with different motors) and not had any issues, love to hear other suggestions :slight_smile:

Btw was reading yesterday about someone using airplane esc on his race setup, didnt bookmark it though…

the @MoeStooge build is running a single inrunner :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The gearing will work, but you need steel-pom or preferrably steel-steel with that setup.

1 Like

Any suggestions on where to find such a spur?

@DEEIF might know

1 Like

would this work?
https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Racing-Traxxas-Tmaxx-STMX3272T/dp/B01EILXAH6

Not me :wink:

You should also take a look at your wheels, those babies are very important too, start with 6x2 wheels or something cheap, they are great imho.

2 Likes

Please school me sir, what are 6x2 wheels?
Do u have a link maybe?

1 Like