Hyve E-paddle alternative

Our sad situation in this neck of the woods has essentially outright banned ESK8s across the country. They basically need this lametard requirement of UL2272 (which would can a capital outlay of $30,000 up-front for each production batch to certify at the point of manufacture), and no importer would want to take that risk if they knew that this is a rather niche market.

It can be circumvented, however, through a revival of a stalled or abandoned product called “Hyve E-paddle”. If only, and one could dream. I’d sign up as one of the 1st customers if it were possible, basically because I have no choice, and longboarding has quite a large take up in this country.

Here’s where we left off :

vidz associated with the product.

An alternative could be created, and because of its versatility (such as in-line or roller skating), I see a possible niche market for it… hoping that someone could take it up one day as it is tiresome trying to play dodgeball with an esk8.

7 Likes

I’ve always wanted to try one of these! I’ve seen them for snowboards as well.

I saw this a while back and have always wondered if it could work on a skateboard. Twist it backwards to go forwards, twist it forward to brake.

jcbzr0lbhkzn7ueoc7mu

Super discreet too :rofl:

4 Likes

I would suggest beging the design process at the battery. Many scooters use a cylindrical pack in the upright, just under the handle bar.

After that it’s a matter of an ESC, trigger throttle, motor and motor mount.

1 Like

I feel like to get enough grip out of the wheel that you would need to use quite a bit of downward force with both hands.

The idea fascinates me though, I have definitely pondered on making one.

2 Likes

You could even just get a scooter that has everything on the handlebar, cut the rest and your stick is done

2 Likes

What about braking? Wouldn’t it be weak asf?

3 Likes

This looks like a lot of fun and a good design. About a decade ago, a friend and I used an electric golf-bag carrier to do something simular, but it only went 3 mph :rofl: This is a hell of an upgrade.

2 Likes

That thing looks like 0 traction to me lol also really slow and weak especially to us DIY 3+kw skateboards

1 Like

You absolutely could, I did not think of that :smile:.

2 Likes

I think its possible to make a speed board a “scooter” legally. All you have to do is add handlebars, but literally make them 1cm tall. There is no legal definition as to the way they can control the scooter, just that they have to be there. make them foldable and speedboard is practically just legal outwright with almost no modifacations

3 Likes

Speedboard doesn’t really exist at this point in time tho :sleepy: i got a mate who’s in on the kickstarter, super keen for it to finally eventuate.

Its DIYable isn’t it? The only need is the steering part

1 Like

Truth :ok_hand:

Police worldwide don’t have a lot of respect or mercy when trying to subvert the law.

I’d be interested in seeing that argument play out as the cops are putting your “scooter” in impound.

1 Like

Maybe make the handlebar telescoping so its actually usable?
Also depends on the country and the cop i guess. UK Police are pretty chill, German ones aren’t etc etc

2 Likes
2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

7 Likes