Hurricane Electronics

Oh the new one is glued down, otherwise i would have flipped it back, i dont know why its screwed in and glued down.

1 Like

oh no no, i wasn’t talking about the esc itself, i was talking about the whole unit including the heatsink, mine is still stuck after i remove 10 billions screws

2 Likes

I think that’s the 10-billion-and-one screws model.

4 Likes

i can probably get rich by smelting all the screw and resell whatever steel they used :roll_eyes:

1 Like

OP with the hurricane please forgive the exasperation here but frankly the only thing correct is the “idk”. Also what do you mean “handle the protections”? These are 3 largely very separate things.

A fuse is an emergency one-time safety mechanism that should never be activated unless there’s a fault. A fuse mechanically breaks a current once it’s beyond safe limits, and unless you’ve installed entirely the wrong fuse it will do this very reliably. Its job is to stop unexpected high fault currents, and no circuit should ever be able to generate the voltage and/or current necessary to defeat a fuse and continue after it has blown. A MOSFET antispark can’t usually do this because the gate junctions are microscopic, it’s possible for a lot of circuits to create a voltage high enough to bridge that gap. Fuses are not there to prevent moderately high, or not-ideal-for-the-cells-high, or any other sort of high current that the ordinary systems can manage. They’re there as a last line of defense to stop the system catching fire in case of short circuits and major malfunctions.

A BMS prevents overcharge, over discharge, and other parameters related to protecting the health of the cells. A fuse can’t do this, nor can an antispark, because they’re not measuring anything to do with the cells, they’re not connected to different cell groups just the pack as a whole, and they’re not equipped with any way of dissipating cell energy.

An antispark - particularly when integrated in the design from the start - is meant to activate every time in normal operation. Its job is to reduce expected high momentary currents. Sparks occur when a voltage is big enough to jump a gap, this happens either by having a big voltage or a small gap. Mechanical connects where a physical objection at one voltage touches a physical object at another voltage, are then obvious sources of sparks. A charger that’s almost made contact will have a small gap, a pin that’s inserted and then separates from the mating surface by micrometers is a small gap, lots of voltage-gap combinations that will cause a spark exist all over the place. Usually the total energy transferred through a spark is low because the voltages equalise quickly or the system doesn’t have any substantial amount of charge available to dump quickly, ie it can’t output high current for a long time. Big lithium packs have a fair bit of charge available to dump, and the voltage gaps while not crazy can be sufficient for higher energy sparks. What antispark devices do is make sure that while the mechanical connection is made (ie the gap is very small), that there isn’t a compete circuit to allow current to flow or a big enough voltage. So you make mechanical connection but not electrical, then you electrically connect the rest of the circuit with a transistor.

This happens every time, and to suggest it could be managed at all by a fuse, let alone handled better than a FET AS, is ludicrous. See a graph of I2T curves for fuseable current to get why
time_current_curves

In this case I suspect it’s not purely an antispark but also a gatekeeper to validate the charger. There’s a small 3rd pin coming from the charger that goes to the AS, this looks like a handshake validator so if you plug any old charger in it won’t connect to the battery because the system can’t guarantee it will work safely.

In conclusion, stay in your lane and if you’re going to make observations and guesses:

1. Don’t do it on the post of a newish member using a prebuilt board
  2. Explicitly acknowledge the limitations of your knowledge or how certain you are in the answer. I do this all the time, there’s lots of stuff I’m not sure about and it’s dangerous if my confidence is mistaken for expertise and wastes someone’s time or gets them hurt
  3. Don’t get defensive and ask why people are attacking you for correcting this or ask what you’ve done wrong. We’ve pointed out glaring technical errors to you many many times, particularly battery-related, and gone back and forth about the real impacts that bad technical advice and practices can have
10 Likes

In case you were interested it looks like the thin red wire runs just from the charge port to the antispark.

3 Likes

@Battery_Mooch incase u also need the wiring from charger to the module

2 Likes

Thanks!
Hmm…as @mr.shiteside noted, that thin red wire goes to a different pin. That complicates things. We need to see where that goes in the charger…if possible.

Of course, voltage measurements on that pin before/during/after charger connection would be incredible but I know that requires a heck of a setup. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

so…want me to send u a charger? :joy: it might take awhile tho, i might have another 12s charger as replacement

1 Like

Thank you for the offer! That will cost a fortune though and isn’t guaranteed to answer our questions since the board is dead.

I’m hoping someone has already popped open one of the chargers.

the module that i sent to u isn’t dead tho, might have some insight on if the 3rd pin is doing something useful?

2 Likes

Ahh…good point. I forgot.
Would you be comfortable opening up your charger? Do not plug it into anything for at least a day before doing this though!

Just seeing where the third connection goes might be enough. We wouldn’t have to spend the money/time on sending the charger so far.

2 Likes

my charger hasn’t been plug in the wall for at least a week now :joy: should be safe enough to open.
i will see if i have time to open it up and snap some pics

2 Likes

Thank you, that would be incredible…whenever convenient, no rush.

2 Likes