Hurricane battery problem AGAIN?

Hi there, not sure if this belongs here, school me if not.

So, my second (!) replacement battery of the Hurricane died on my while riding. I was riding for roughly one km with a fully charged battery, when, after pretty strong breaking and accelerating, the board did not respond anymore, the remote showed empty battery, and then showed the disconnect symbol. Board would not turn on via push start or start button after that. Moreover, I would not be able to get the board to start up even with the charger connected (my first broken battery still was able to do that).

I have attached a video of this (dropbox link), using both batteries to show (to Meepo) that the ESC and charger plate should be working fine (that’s my conclusion at least), and that therefore it MUST be a battery problem.

In case someone knowledgeable has a look at the vid: is my conclusion correct? Because Meepo first wanted to send me a new charger plate, and after seeing that video, they want to send a new ESC. I don’t think that’s the problem though, do you?

Thanks in advance!

Link: Dropbox - VID_20220613_223309.mp4 - Simplify your life

4 Likes

So, it appears that with the old battery in place, the charger will supply enough juice to run the ESC and spin the motors.

So definitely not an ESC problem.

Two questions:

1. When charger is plugged in with first battery and ESC powered, what voltage reading or battery information are you getting from the remote screen?

2. Sorry if I missed it, but what was first failure indicator with the original battery?

1 Like

Hi, thanks for having a look.

1. Battery is at 41.7V, which does not seem right. Remote shows all 4 bars on battery when the charger is connected. Charger shows a red light, indicating that it is charging, but you don’t see the charging process on the remote.

2. Not sure if i understand you right, but the first battery died while riding for 3 or 4 kms after a full charge. the voltage (41.7) does not seems right therefore, indicating a dead cell (right?). The first battery can be connected to the charger, board works fine. the second one can’t be started at all.

Hope I understood your second question correctly. Meepo really does not seem to like the idea of sending out a second replacement battery.

1 Like

To me it looks like the first one had a gradual cell failure but the bms is still working The second one has a dead bms but maybe still good cells.

1 Like

Some board BMS units do this so you don’t try braking with a full battery. (Regen from braking can only go back into the battery when slightly discharged.)

I can’t really blame them, as I don’t think your batteries are the problem here.

Can you take clear pictures of the battery connector wire (yellow) coming from your ESC?

Here is your mistake.
You are not allowed to break with a fully charged battery bc it will destroy the battery. When u have really bad luck the esc is damaged as well.

2 Likes

In this case, I think fully charged=41.7, so not entirely sure that’s the case.

1 Like

It’s a 12s battery. 41.7 isn’t fully charged.

2 Likes

I bet its the case bc @xsynatic :heart_hands:

1 Like

:person_facepalming:t2:

Going to go cry in the corner now.

1 Like

Hahhahaha come on…wasnt that bad thought

1 Like

I mean, I should have considered that.

1 Like

Yeah i got that :people_hugging:
I see this everyday on youtube, dudes riding a mile and their boards give up.
Its always the breaking.

1 Like

But my stupidity at least makes it clear this is a charging issue, no?

1 Like

More likely a damaged cell or more i would say.
Regen energy made the battery go boom

1 Like

I see your point for sure, but he was going out on a discharged battery for that to happen.

1 Like

Mhhh just read the fully charged breaking part and chimed in.

1 Like

What’s confusing me is that the battery shows 41.7v but the remote shows 4 bars.

@ridiculed how did you measure the battery voltage, with a multimeter?

What exactly is the voltage of your first battery and the second battery right now?

If you connect the old battery, does the remote also show full bars at all time?

1 Like

Right?

So…it kinda feels like the remote is setup for 10s, thus showing full bars but the battery being a 12s system shuts off because of the low voltage cutoff

2 Likes