Hulk Shorty | TB 6380 | DIY FB Enclosure | Maker X mini FOC plus ESC | 12s3p 40T |

I’d love to find a cylindrical rope that’s like 5mm diameter, but everything I see is a tape / rectangular shape.

2 Likes

NZ$ 14.49 41% Off | ALLOMN 1 Roller 4 Meters Car Rubber Sealant Black Butyl Glue Headlight Retrofit Reseal Hid Headlamps Taillight Shield Glue Tapes

It’s got more girth, but that’s not normally an issue :joy:
If you stretch it as you carefully apply, it’ll reduce in dia. To whatever you need.
@b264, You’re welcome :wink:

2 Likes

Oh, score! Yeah, this is what I need

1 Like

So does this mean girth is sometimes an issue for you :wink::joy:

:joy: rofl lolz

1 Like

Slowly coming along…

Enclosure sprayed with bed liner. Came up ok. Not the most even application though as I got a bit close and/or went too thick in spots.

Drilled then installed phase wire grommet plug thingy. Still need to install the hall sensor connector plug, drill hole for power switch and charge port.

Installed a tail bone which is a good fit.

Waiting on belts, inserts to mount enclosure, and the print i ordered to skin the top.

4 Likes

Where did you get that tailbone?

What size is it?

The diameter of the thread needs a 20mm hole drilled. The whole part is about 35mm long

2 Likes

Inching closer. Inserts took weeks to arrive so that set me back! Epoxied in and glassing over soon.

Hall sensor connector done. Very fiddly! Stuffed one plug when soldering.

Connected everything to make sure it’s all working and thankfully it is! Vesc Wizzard set motor amps at 70 and -70. I changed to 75 and -60 to start with.

Next is fiberglass layer on top of deck, then skin with printed fabric. If it looks shit I’ll rip it off and grip tape.

3 Likes

Fibreglassed the top then skinned with an iron on image on a cotton pillow case haha.

It worked ok. It’s a bit off centre and I had issues getting the epoxy to stick to the image. Needed lots of passes and 4 thin coats to get it to work.

The glass frit is medium course and green (hard to tell in pic).

EDIT: Got most of my knowhow for this process from here: Forget the grip use Glass Frit - #737 by glyphiks

The threaded inserts were a bit long and I should have cut them down to flush mount. You can make out where they are on top but not too bad.

The inside is close to finished. Waiting on a BT module. Considering a buck converter for lights too as there’s plenty of space. Battery and most components secured with velcro. Have used thin foam to line most of the enclosure too.

Got hold of a PPB 3d printed shell for remote thanks to Glyphiks. Feels nice in the hand.

I have Evolve 97mm flywheels but the wheel pulley I have isn’t compatible so have ordered some from Dickyho. Will need to likely stuff around with the TB hanger to make them work. In the mean time the TB 90mm flywheels are on and ready to go.

9 Likes

This is the sort of thing that drives me crazy but fortunately it is well hidden by those sweet Hulk-colored shards. You did a beautiful job with the skinning and frit and it really compliments the graphic!

2 Likes

Cheers @nomadic_myke :blush:

Pretty happy with the outcome aesthetically, not so much performance! Not quite finished as I need to run cables better (stuck down with tape) and cover properly. Also something went wrong on maiden voyage that I’ll try work out later as feeling a bit sore and sorry for myself lol.

Locked up at around 30ish km/h at a guess when accelerating up a small incline. Threw me off!

4 Likes

Kinda late to the party on this, but this could work as a waterproof sealant as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-1031-Tire-Repair-Plugs/dp/B000ET8D0G/ref=sr_1_8?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Tire%2BRepair%2BKits&qid=1615570458&s=automotive&sr=1-8&ts_id=15706711&th=1

I love short board with a kick and if I accelerate to hard it throws my balance Its a very different beast to push boards. The shorter stance and the rear foot Balance takes a bit to get used to. Still my fav board for short rides.

3 Likes

So the reason I went flying appears to be my TB6380 shorted. (EDIT: My ESC was to blame!) I was unable to get it working again. Looks perfect from outside so must have an internal short. Weird thing was it bench tested fine but under load it didn’t feel right from the get go. It seemed totally gutless and the brakes almost felt non existent too. It’s completely stuffed now :cry:. Not a great introduction to my felt belt drive :grimacing:

I got hold of a Marsen 6374 and it seems my ESC is still good which is a relief.( Edit: although the esc detected the 6374 it became problematic again then wouldn’t detect new motor. Wasted $ getting a new motor and am now in need of a new esc :man_facepalming:)

Hopefully I can get this back on the road soon.

Marsen motor has a 10mm shaft though so need to shave a little metal from my mount. :crossed_fingers:it doesn’t weaken the mount.

1 Like

How did you find the short? Does it fail a hand test?

1 Like

It’s hard to tell honestly. It seems to have choppy breaks when two phase wires are touching but to me doesn’t seem consistent when changing phase wires. But hard to tell. Can it be subtle or very noticeable in feel?

It seems to make a bit of noise spinning with no phase wires touching though. Like little clicks sort of. The new Marsen motor doesn’t make any sound at all :man_shrugging:

TB fails to work at all when running wizard in VESC app. The Marsen motor detects perfect in the wizard.

Edit: there appears to be more than meets the eye. My GO-FOC mini seems to be kaput now. I’ve had to connect the new motor to one of my DV6s from my 4wd board and all is well (other than Hoyt Puck no longer working too :man_shrugging:). The TB6380 may not have been at fault but too nervous to plug it in and try.

Edit and update: looks like TB6380 is fine. Detected fine. It was the Maker X mini plus that was the culprit.

2 Likes

Finally somewhat finished and in a rideable state. I’ve had to use a Maker X DV6 ESC and VX2 remote out of my 4wd to get this Hulk shorty running. Currently sensorless running: Battery 60, -50 Motor 70, -60
The Marsen 6374 packs a decent punch (15T motor pulley, 40T wheel pulley). I’m still to do a proper run and range test. I was very nervous testing this after I got thrown previously.

I’ve got a BN hanger and motor mount on order so will mount the TB6380 on that with Evolve 97s for an easy switch out. Will run that sensored.

Now to get out and enjoy this thing.

5 Likes