Hulk Shorty | TB 6380 | DIY FB Enclosure | Maker X mini FOC plus ESC | 12s3p 40T |

:rofl: :man_shrugging:

Yep I imagine my buck will look the same when I’ve finished with it too. Your enclosure looks like it turned out sweet though!

1 Like

That’s the mould.
Yup many hours but much satisfaction.
Made a few tests from it. Bitch to cut fabric and lay up all the segments but results have been pretty good. :blush:

1 Like

She may not be the prettiest but somehow came out in one piece and appears to be mostly structurally sound! Still a bit of work to do to make it look somewhat respectable though haha

I need to strengthen up the corners from the inside as @glyphiks suggested (who has also helped me through the process. What a top cunt!).

Bit more sanding and another layer of something to smooth her out. Maybe more poly resin? Maybe a thick bed liner. Not sure yet :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

Bed liner hides all the sins :ok_hand:

4 Likes

Good shit Jj. Car wax and hairspray FTW. :joy:
Not much sticks to that clear tape tho.

2 Likes

Mock up is looking ok. I needed to angle the corners of the buck far better as enclosure corners are a bit pointy. The wheels may hit so will need to shift front trucks forward a bit more as shown I think. The motor is a little close for comfort too and may hit when turning. Will have to bolt down and test.

As for the enclosure it’s coming along ok. It’s got a little more sanding and a coat of bed liner to go. I’m going early on this, but going to give myself a C grade for first fibreglass effort. Mistakes were made, it looks average at best but it’s functional and seems strong haha.

I should have taken my time cutting the edges more precise as that would have made a difference on looks at least. Definitely needed to spend more time on the buck to get the shape right.

I put a few more layers of glass on the inside corners for strength as I sanded too harshly on the outside corners and made a few little holes. They’ve been patched with araldite epoxy from the outside, as can be seen above.

1 Like

Take off the roadside bushing and you can lean it both ways easily.

Take it off completely? What do I put in it’s place? Just the washer and nut?

1 Like

Just the nut. While upside down on the bench. That way you can check for wheelbite and motor clearance.

1 Like

Haha. That makes sense now. I thought you meant to ride it like that :man_facepalming:

1 Like

It’s not all been smooth sailing on this build.

I certainly built the enclosure a tad too big. There’s bugger all play room at either end. If I want to go bigger than 90mm wheels down the track, I can’t unless I change things now :thinking:

I’ll shift front trucks forward a tad. Rears should be fine (can’t really move them back anyway as it’s going into the kick). The motor is very close to the enclosure on full turn of trucks and I’ve not adjusted the motor position to correct belt tension yet so could be real tight :grimacing:.

I also managed to mangle my motor pulley by stupidly hammering it on the wrong way over the shaft key then needing to remove it. I feel something isn’t right as surely it can’t be that difficult to push the motor pulley over the shaft. Needless to say, having to belt it back off with a chisel and hammer, it’s fucked!

So much more to consider on belt drives compared to my previous hub and DD builds!

I’m planning a few extra bits and bobs now too. Going to work an image into the enclosure and use bed liner around it. Also going to skin the top with an image and glass frit, just for the experience more than anything.

Integrating lights I’m still up in the air about. I don’t do much night riding really.

4 Likes

Maybe set the key on a hand file and polish it a little bit that way. DON’T overdo it. You want it tight, but probably not quite that tight. Make sure the key is what’s making it tight first. Is it that tight without the key?

2 Likes

Few steps closer…

Battery fits like a glove :blush: Thanks to Mark from Marsen Energy in Perth Australia for my 12s3p Samsung 40T pack 12aH.

I’ve changed 4mm bullets to 5.5mm on Maker X Mini Plus. Also changed to XT90 battery connector from XT60. I didn’t realise the mini plus has smaller ports for everything. I’ve had to change my Hoyt ST Puck receiver plug. The hall sensor port is smaller than the TB6380 hall sensor plug so will need to do that too.

Ended up buying another motor pulley as I made a mess of the last one. Once it arrives I can test if everything works then it’s only a matter of skinning the top of the deck and painting enclosure. :crossed_fingers: this will be on the road in a few weeks.

4 Likes

Don’t forget butyl tape for water resistance and consider some 1mm - 2mm thick neoprene for cushioning the battery.

Don’t forget little tiny cable ties to keep XT60 and various connectors from vibrating apart.

2 Likes

Sorry, forgot to answer this. Motor pulley slips right on without the key so if the next pulley is as tight I’ll file it a bit. Thanks.

I’ve got some rubber weather seal. $5AU from Bunnings (Australian hardware store) so hopefully that does the trick. I don’t ride in rain so only needs to hold up riding through the odd retic puddle. Perth weather is pretty good most of the year.

:heavy_check_mark: Check

:heavy_check_mark: Check

Thanks for all your help mate!

2 Likes

My experience is that those don’t work very well. I suggest this stuff for reasons LoL

1 Like

Is there thick butyl tape? Like 2-3mm?

No doubt. I’m sure it does a great job. I’m not trying to weather proof this really. Maybe I should but I just don’t feel the need to ride in the rain. I won’t go out if rain forecast. The rubber seal was cheap and not as messy as butyl tape. It has 4 little segments too so I’d be very surprised if a little accidental splash has any impact. If it does, then you warned me lol

Not sure sorry. I think there are versions you can kind of mold to the size you want. I think I saw something like that anyway. Probably not butyl tape though haha

I haven’t found any thinner than that. It has the same feel and consistency as used chewing gum.

1 Like

Oooh if theres thiccc stuff like that imma get it.