Hoyt St UAV Review Video

28 Likes

Hoyt is not Porsche, Ferrari, or any of those hypercar makers. Hoyt is Rolls Royce, decent performance, premium finish, premium price. They cater to another group of audiences compared to most esk8 brands out there.

This review captured this very clearly and thoroughly. Well made.

12 Likes

Thank you. :pray:

3 Likes

great review, not sure I agree with your motor arguements but its an intresting topic :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Fantastic video, Hoyt is killing it with developing really cool things.

Was going to ask for some elaboration on the thoughts about motors :sweat_smile: did not 100% add up for me.

2 Likes

@TheBoardGarage Besides the screwdriver test, do you happen to know the numerical difference in efficiency between the Hoyt motors and motors like the reacher v5s or maytech?

1 Like

Screwdriver test checks out on these aswell, but I always thought this was because of can material and the slightly thicker can…they are indeed 64mm wide motor cans

1 Like

Magnet shape does affect the magnetic field around the can, I’m not so sure if it completely or mostly eliminates magnetism on the outside of the can… Rooftile shaped magnets does however strengthens the magnetic field inside the can. (I never looked inside of the hoyt motors, I assumed this is the structure they went with. I asked DXW to make me a few sets of customised motors in the past with the rooftile shaped magnets, the magnetic field is so fucking strong you literally can’t disassemble the rotor after putting in on the stator even when the stator isn’t electrified. Efficiency was a bit better too, about a 10% range increase with irl testing conditions.)

When I watched the motor explanation section I assumed that he meant to say the shape of the magnet made the system more efficient at same power output while the can material made magnetism on the outside of the can weak

Eliminating magnetism on the outside of the can doesn’t really help with the efficiency, it more helps with not picking up magnetic dust and debris.

2 Likes

After reading further into Halbach arrays in motors, they seem to do more than just reduce pickup of magnetic dust.

The literature checks out what I had assumed just from testing and figuring. And it seems a worthwhile approach to consider rather than only ever making motors larger to absorb heat.

But also, I only studied literature in college, so frankly I’m not a particularly scholarly source on these matters.

3 Likes

Your whole channel is generally kick ass, but especially you newer vids. Great esk8/OW content and great vid/audio quality. A huge recommendation to anyone who hasn’t yet checked out Mario’s YouTube.

4 Likes

the video this board deserved

4 Likes