Hoyt St. Pneumatic Wheels

Like I said initially, we’d like these to be cheaper but this is effectively break even for us with nearly $100 per set in molds and NRE. Once we get through these first 100 sets and place a second order, we should be able to see a price decrease.
As for the pulley, we’ve targeted a balance between speed and torque. And the vendor does not recommend these for higher than 30mph so decreasing the pulley diameter would take the speed beyond the recommended max.

4 Likes

Any updates love this interview https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-state-of-esk8/id1492491531?i=1000471930606
Curious to see all your new goodies coming out :call_me_hand:
AT board- wheels-etc

1 Like

Well, we received 5 sets of test tires on both the 5” and 7” this week. Scrambling rims to get testing going. Keeping all that local so we can keep an eye on things.

6 Likes

Cool be safe out there Portland looks crazy these days :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

Eskating is a lot more dangerous than Portland. We’ve been defiant and consistent (55 straight days!) but the crazy shit only happens down at the Federal court house.

8 Likes

If you have an opportunity to design your own hubs- why not make them with angular contact bearings so that our wheels can’t literally come off when our cheap bearings fail. Either design them with angular contact bearings, or design a retainer that simply goes under the nut, locking the wheel in. The bearing systems we use in these boards are pathetic, and they are going to get people hurt or killed.

1 Like

Interesting. We’ve never even thought about this. Perhaps because we’ve never heard of it happening. Is this something that has been experienced and documented somewhere? It’s an intriguing thought but we don’t have the bandwidth to solve problems that are extremely rare…and if your bearings fail at high speed, youre hitting the tarmac regardless, don’t you think?

2 Likes

Speed washer x 2 and a larger washer to match beading OD before the nut?

2 Likes

It happened to Ernesto from KalyNYC. That’s why he designed his hubs with angular contact bearings. Granted, I’m pretty sure Ernesto is a big guy, and that his bearings were long overdue for a change when it happened. However, it’s not as rare as you think. It happens constantly to non-electric skateboards. I couldn’t count how many sk8 videos I’ve watched in which a wheel goes rolling away. They use the same bearings.

It literally affects how I carve. It bothers me to think I have to keep replacing my bearings just so that I can have a little peace of mind while hard carving.

4 Likes

Also, the wheels not coming off is just one benefit of angular contact bearings. I’m pretty sure they would eliminate, or soften, low and high speed cogging on gear drives. Not a problem with your current line up, though, as you’re all belt driven.

Interesting. Hadn’t heard. We have experienced bearing failure at lower speed and, judging by that, even if an angled bearing failed, that wheel basically starts braking, which at high speed, we’d expect to throw you anyway. But worth looking into. One more layer of protection.

3 Likes

An angular contact bearing isn’t going to fail in the same way as regular bearings. Why do you think it would suddenly brake?

if the bearings fail, its just metal run on metal run. in our experience, it seizes.

I think you would experience a much more gradual failure with angular contact bearings. You’d get all kinds of signals from your wheels that it was time for a change before catastrophic failure occurred, imo. They’d be making crunching and other noises before they locked up or seized.

2 Likes

How’s testing :call_me_hand: and when is the launch for the wheels?

1 Like

Lets see some pictures

1 Like

welp, nothing but bad news, yo.
we’re getting a shitton of flats but I have a solution there that I’m very excited about.

4 Likes

Check out Insta feed for pix. Plenty there.

2 Likes

Hopefully these are the next Jordan’s :rofl: can’t wait keep us posted :call_me_hand:

We aspire to be the next Nacho Libre.

6 Likes