Hoyt Puck - New Firmware - Beta Testers Wanted! [SERIOUS]

just tested the new fw, no setting change on vesc side except recalibrating the ppm

right hand user, 7% deadband, no throttle curve set in vesc, 0.2 ramp up time

at same throttle forward angle, the new puck fw will instantly feel more “punch / sensitive / power”, actually the moment u push pass the deadband, u will feel more “torque” at very low speed and it pick up wayyy faster when u push forward more compare to the old fw.

overall, i give it 9/10

disclaimer: i did the test using 2 different puck, one with old fw and one with new fw

12 Likes

Excellent feedback, thank you so much Michael!

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I don’t have a PC to do the update with. I’m going to have to go bug @zero_ads for help when I’m back in the bay area.

3 Likes

Been using for a little over a month with no issues so far, definitely way more punch than before.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Same. cries in Mac :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

As an anonymous puck user, I can confirm the new FW improved my riding exprience quite alot and prior I’ve been bamboozled as to why throttle response didn’t feel right. Thanks!

3 Likes

I had a play today and as I expected, i didnt like the feel of it on my urethane board. It was a bit jerky and reminiscent of the way the old evolve boards would jerk on startup and throw out my back.

Full disclosure tho, pretty sure that board is running 20% expo and I didn’t change that OR recalibrate ppm.

Hoping to get the step bro back on the road this weekend to see if it is everything I dreamed of on that.

2 Likes

This is why your back hurts lol

2 Likes

Um, I blew a belt on the ride yesterday so didn’t get a chance to try it, but the new belt should be here Monday right…when…the…rain…starts.

4 Likes

I love the new firmware. I took the mountain board out to Leavenworth today (sun chasing) and was able to use both remotes side by on the trails. With the new firmware all that dead space at the beginning of travel is removed and it’s much more linear across the range.

I’ve only ever had 2 complaints about the Hoyt remote, and this resolves the first one. Now if we could just get them to switch to Hall sensors to remove any possible mechanical shenanigans :slight_smile:

Thank you for the update, I couldn’t see any issues so I’m going to update my other remote as well.

I suppose just to be pedantic I should put in a request that we really should be able to down-flash these remotes in case beta firmwares don’t work. I’d love to hear the technical reason why you can’t go back.

3 Likes

Man am I the only person that likes that quiet spot? When I ride boards that have more power than I know what to do with, it makes starting easier.

3 Likes

Skill issue

1 Like

absolutely, it gives a margin of extra safety with a sensible start

I also have trust issues as additional to any or all skill issues…

I agree coming outta tight corners definitely helps to have that extra feel. Especially on a high power board when you’re on the limit.

1 Like

Yeah this is what stopped me too, don’t need twitchiness in my dotage

Upgraded FW on my puck too and raced with it today in ERL Perth. Got me the jump on closest competitor 2 out of 3 starts. Hit 11.2kw peak power today too. Needless to say, I enjoyed the upgrade for racing!

6 Likes

For me it was just a matter of retraining. One of the skills I have the most trouble with (especially on the mountain board in tricky terrain) is starting on climbs and that flat spot always made it more difficult. It didn’t take me long with the new firmware to have a much easier time with it.

@jack.luis updated my Puck today and I definitely prefer the new linear throttle curve. He adjusted a couple other throttle curve settings for me too and all of it combined adds a ton of acceleration punch.

7 Likes

Got two of my Pucks updated; so far so good.

On my Lunaflux the change was very positive. More immediate response for both throttle and brake. This was basically what I missed when going from a VX1 to Puck. I also have a good feeling that the default Puck baked-in curve was to blame for VESC boards being a bit sleepy in off-the-line acceleration compared to the premades.

I am a bit anxious about how the change will be on the PU RE44 which already is plenty zippy. Need to wait for dryer roads to try out.

3 Likes