Hoyt puck alternatives ?

TLDR had a friend who’s Hoyt puck malfunctioned and when he hit the brakes it accelerated instead, and now he can’t skate for 6 months.

So what is the most durable remote out there ? I don’t care about telemetry just would like it to be smaller.

2 Likes

zmote seems to be getting some traction recently and most people that use it seems to like it a lot, could give it a go if u fix on not getting another puck

7 Likes

I don’t think there’s a remote that’s going to take the abuse of sliding with if that’s what’s happening in that picture.

I feel Like if you potted the remote completely maybe it’d offer some better chances at sliding perhaps

12 Likes

Really like mine, though I wouldn’t use it as a slide puck.

8 Likes

There’s a throttle inversion feature on the Puck that flips throttle direction. Holding the R button triggers this.

Given the abused state of this remote, being used as a slide puck which it’s not intended for- I’d say it’s highly likely your friend created this problem himself through misuse/putting it into reverse mode.

Even if it was the potentiometer coming off the PCB - again, the remote is being used as a slide puck, which it’s not at all intended for. Unless he had a very old remote and didn’t repair it, the manufacturing issue you referenced has long since been corrected.

Hope your friend heals, but if they continue with this line of thinking they will be visiting the hospital again.

15 Likes

Nonsense. The enertion nano is known for durability in sliding.

OP disregard my shenanigans.

2 Likes

its just dumb to use any electronic device as a slide puck, let alone a remote that u depend on dearly to control the movement of ur death machine :roll_eyes:

12 Likes

Amen

6 Likes

So what you’re saying is, my laptop isn’t a good slide puck? My cell phone has an otter box, can I slide it?

1 Like

I hear tenkas make excellent slide pucks

5 Likes

@longhairedboy change it!!!

Please sir lol.

3 Likes

@Zachsnotboard

I’ve smashed my GT2B three times. That sucker refuses to die.

Maybe someone could design sacrificial metal shroud (to be slowly grinded away) for a case mod?

3 Likes

i use the heatsinks of my dead unities

2 Likes

Those are just tenkas that haven’t been made yet

2 Likes

I think you are onto something. Potted and a shell that can take crash (not actual sliding) would be a nice progression in remote design.

3 Likes

I think you could get away with using one as a slide puck, if, and ONLY if, you are willing to coat the entire PCB in epoxy and also epoxy down any other parts that don’t need to move. Sure, you couldn’t repair anything on the board via replacing the entire part anymore but at least the extra abuse wouldn’t risk destroying the PCB. You’d still have to worry about breaking the throttle wheel but it looks like that would just cut your ability to accelerate and break. a less catastrophic result when it did fail

3 Likes

So lemme get this straight, your buddy thought it was a good idea to take a puck (which is one of if not the most reliable esk8 remotes out there) attached a sliding pad on it and slapped it on the ground however many times while sliding to turn then the remote wind up malfunctioning which hospitalized him?

Thats definitely a screw up on his part, its already been said here multiple times but no remote should be slid on unless u properly design a remote yourself for such purpose. I hope the guy heals but dont make the same mistake again.

12 Likes

GT2B is both the cheapest and the best. I’ll unlikely use something else.

3 Likes

@Zachsnotboard gt2b is what I use on the V5 and it’s awesome. Others here are recommending it and maybe you should just go that way

2 Likes

Do you guys use a modded shell? That thing looks huge.

1 Like