How useful are impact pads?

People who wear leathers. Are you wearing any hard shell pads over or under your leathers?
@Arzamenable @MoeStooge

1 Like

That’s all me baby.

1 Like

Not a traitor unless I abandon a device. The only wheeled device I’m a traitor to is the rollerblades…I hated those things so much.

I need to learn all wheeled devices for full stealing potential. EUC is pretty thief-proof, stupid piece of :poop:, can’t go more than 20 feet without bailing

2 Likes

yeah just don’t fall problem solved. :dancer:

2 Likes

Lotta defensive sounding words from someone who probably looked like a hairless circus bear on a Unicycle. :kissing_heart:

4 Likes
1 Like

:rofl::joy: never felt so self conscious in my life! I took the afternoon off work to practice at a park, fully padded up. Then school across the street let out and I was surround by middle school kids watching me fail repeatedly.

Gonna bring my board to the spot again just to make sure I’m still “cool”
d80

7 Likes

No hard shell on my leathers. Nylon Capps on elbow, knees, spine and shoulders would reduce ragdolling.

4 Likes

I’m back to digging up old threads.

I’m wondering if anyone has any more opinions on this topic. Soft pads under kevlar jackets/pants or hard-shell pads over top?

TSG SK8 DHPs? 187 Killer pads? (I keep seeing those being recommended for knee pads in general) Lazy Rolling jackets (or other jackets of that style)? Flatland 3D gloves? Slide gloves with the half-puck?

Anyone try using derby pads yet? I know there’s a lot of movement and superman falls in that sport.

There are new products of this sort coming out constantly, so I’m wondering if anyone has changed their opinions on any of this or come up with some new ones.

1 Like

If you ride on the street pavement, you want your protection to be able to slide to dissipate the force. So this means, hard shell on the outside.dhp, killer pro and force va are great options for knees.
For the top, the best I found was leatt 5.5 pro hd chest protector. For elbows I’m undecided between tsg all terrain or alpinestars sequence.
The good about Kevlar hoodie is abrasion resistance but the pads don’t stay in place tight to the body. So the best possible option would be Kevlar shirt under and armour over.
Also there is a need to protect the hips and tailbone. The same principle applies, hard shell to slide and inner foam to protect.
And definitely sliding gloves with a puck, S9 lightning or boxer.
Hope it helps

5 Likes

Do you think Flatland 3D’s style of glove is inadequate for proper wrist/palm protection?

Also, I’ll be riding a pretty even mix of off-road and pavement, but I think I’m going to just get hard pads since road falls are probably what I’m gonna be the most concerned about anyway. I’ve got a LR jacket coming (the new reflective one - gotta stay visible) but I think I might ditch their elbow pads and just put on hard elbow pads on the outside. And maybe get one of those diapers for my hips/tailbone.

Thanks for the advice!

2 Likes

Totally adequate, I’ve been using Knox Orsa Mx gloves (same as F3D originals) and they’ve seen me through quite a couple of falls.

In general I prefer armour under clothing (no power ranger look and just more practical), so my next step would be integrated like Lazy Rolling. They’re designed for esk8 so makes sense.

1 Like

If you’re going out for a 1-2 hour ride with high speeds … I rec sticking with slide gloves. Wrist braces if your hands are super important…

Smaller booze runs/commutes, flatlands are great. Aside from their ridiculously long fingers

They also do absolutely nothing against wind… And I doubt the finger material is going to hold up to any asphalt even at slow speeds. Probably a false idea of protection tbh. Might be better off just going with the fingerless ones.

3 Likes

The knox orsas have a lot more wrist support/protection than the flatland gloves. They are also leather, so a lot more abrasion resistant. Perfect gloves for esk8, imo.

Ennui or triple 8 have some wrist guard fingerless gloves. Could even stick some slide pucks on them.

3 Likes

I’ve been saying this for ages LOL!

2 Likes

They’re also much bulkier though. Like, surely nobody is comparing those two gloves in overall protection. If they are… They fuckin stupid lmao. Flatland3D are just enough for lighter falls and they’re pretty compact. I need to grab something bulkier for true speed runs while my wrist heals up…

2 Likes

Just because they say they are, doesn’t mean they really are. I’m saying that but I also have one :rofl:
Anyway, armour hoodie is better than a plain shirt.
You could get a motorcycle jacket that @taz loves.
@T-Nomad also consider your fingers. There was one guy who fell with fingerless gloves and he lost half his thumb :grimacing: so full glove with leather

3 Likes

According to @LAZYROLLING the MC hoodies are too short for esk8? Also, I like the thinking behind the belt- and thumb loops keeping coverage in place.

2 Likes

I also like those features

1 Like

Yea I saw that video. It’s what got me asking all these questions before I made a final purchase. I appreciate all the recommendations though. I’m considering going with a wrist guard/slide glove combo without the puck. Something like what @flyinpiranha was using in this thread: Everything that makes your ride safe

I saw in another thread the type of gloves you’re talking about. How is handling the remote with those gloves? After looking at some of their off-road gloves (the OR3 I think?) I’m seriously leaning towards getting a pair of those. I just want to have full finger protection included with my wrist protection… no degloving fingers for me, please… eesh.

2 Likes