How to set a higher value for motor temp cutoff in vesc tool?

Hey all, I want to increase my motor temp cutoff to a super high value like 9001 celsius but I cant seem to go above 120C? Im running 5.1 firmware on a flipsky 6.6 mini.

Without saying “why would you want to do that” because I don’t like when folks answer my questions that way ---- I can get directly to your question and say:

• hardware / You can hardware disconnect the temperature sensor wire(s).

• software / You can load the “No hardware limits” version of the firmware

Take note ALL your settings will be erased when you do that; you will need to redetect the motors and set everything, including fixing the battery current maximum and duty cycle current limit start values.

5 Likes

Thank you, is this firmware an alternative provided by vedder? or is it developed by someone else?

Both, I’d say. VESC Tool and variESC Tool both have it, among others.

It’s merely a software switch that disables the value truncations that are annoying you.

Keep in mind these values are truncated for reasons

3 Likes

Keep in mind that the efficiency will drop the hotter it gets resulting in even more heat. This could result in a circle of getting hotter and less efficient until it breaks. I got my throttle at 75°C and cutoff at 90°C :joy:

I just want to avoid motor temp cutoffs regardless of how hot my motors are. Not to mention interference in the temperature readings from the hall sensors running through the stator, best not to have any sort of cutoff function at all in the event of a rogue temperature spike. Like @b264 suggested, many people run motors without temp sensors at all and i was gonna do that if there was no way around the 120C limit in software.

By setting the cutoff to an unreachable value, I figure I get some sort of middle ground. Motors won’t cutout when i don’t want to but I still get to keep an eye on motor temps and cool down on my terms.

2 Likes

What motors are you running? I’m using the sealed maytechs everyone complains about getting hot, and i pull the temp pins.

1 Like

flipsky 6374 non battle hardened version

1 Like

i’ve never used those. I heard they like to throw magnets, but that may be old and irrelevant news by now.

1 Like

Yeah that’s old, these motors are solid

I’ve run mine up to 75 degrees so far without any issues

I wouldn’t really recommend setting the temp cutoffs too high, I’m pretty sure that above 120C the magnets will start to get permanently demagnitized

2 Likes

The ones I bought probably would have since they aren’t battle hardened but i did it myself. Magnets shouldn’t be going anywhere unless the epoxy i used is trash.

Gotcha. I don’t plan on running these motors hot for any extended amount of time, its mainly to avoid cutoffs from bad temp readings that some people encountered like in this thread. @Deodand explained it really in depth in one of those posts, something about the temp wire running along all the others and through the stator, big inductive loop, stuff way over my head.

1 Like

raw

Ah I missed the part where you said that but the old ones still have their good runs, just no epoxy on them

So i went for a test run today and went over my settings again. Despite flashing and upgrading to 5.2 with the default_no_hw_limits version of the firmware, I still can not go above 120C motor temp cutoff.

Cut the temp wire.

I’d like to keep the temp sense to see temps in the app once in a while

1 Like