How to make an XT90 Loop Key

This actually might be a feature not a bug, since the XT90E-M panel mount connector that heā€™s using is not deep enough for the XT90S-F connector to fully insert anyway. Thereā€™s always a little gap, so this printed part might just fill that gap nicely without changing how the two pieces interact.

4 Likes

Interesting.

I wouldnā€™t want to use that on an XT90 male though.

1 Like

This my take on a loop key. I wanted one without a string and one which my fingers could grab a little better than the others I have tried.

Designed so the short of the two pins doesnā€™t extend beyond the pins.

Glue xt90 female in the the holder. If the short is level with the pins you should get a small lip before the holder begins.

I have put a piece of braid between the two pins and filled with solder.

8 Likes

XT90 loop key made with an 80amp strip fuse and usb memory stick cover

3 Likes

Yes, any copper conductor thatā€™s large enough should be fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will the insides of one 10 awg wire be enough? I have some scrap pieces of 10 awg from phase wires removed off a VESC I bought that would work very well for it.

I may also add some more copper on top of that so I can have enough material left over if I file it down to a nicer shape. I want to try and make it as compact as possible since Iā€™ll likely coat it in epoxy for insulation.

Absolutely

1 Like

:sob:

I thought Iā€™d get to skip the whole cutting into abs and filing it to barely fit step but then I realized I canā€™t buy it.

1 Like
2 Likes

Got a restock on the way :heart:

1 Like

You need a loop you can put your finger through to pull it out

Paracord through the mondo solder loop. E Z

Thereā€™s a magnet in the way

What a great design! /s

I donā€™t have a 3d printer to be able to design and print a mold so I have to build up the epoxy over multiple pours. The first pour is already on in the photo but it is hard to see with it being almost crystal clear. Couldnā€™t get the damn air bubbles out from the area between the pins and the plastic without risking burning the plastic with my torch.

I am not adding any sort of loop on purpose, but will be adding enough of a little grip area to be able to pull it out. As is I can pull it out but with no good grip yet it is hard. The magnet is hopefully my small form solution to making it harder to loose when unplugged and not for attaching a loop if that makes things clearer. If I did want a loop then I just need to drill a hole in the epoxy that will extend past all the metal though, so, no, the magnet wonā€™t be in the way.

Also I 100% fucked up the polarity on the magnets and now need to redo the magnet inside the remote case. I knew it could be an issue and yet did nothing to prevent it :person_facepalming:

It is called planning ahead. I know there is a good chance Iā€™ll end up loosing the loopkey when out and in a store, so Iā€™m designing it to prevent that by adding magnets to things I already have to carry with me. The remote, probably will add one to the inside of the enclosure somewhere, and Iā€™ll add one to my key ring. Giving me at least 3 easy places to quickly attach it to for safe keeping. If it takes to long to secure it I know I wonā€™t use the method most of the time hence the magnet.

I use the loop to clip it on the same carbiner my home keys are on. The same loop youā€™ve omitted :smirk:

3 Likes

That would take too long and I would just not do it most of the time. :person_shrugging: but also I keep my keys small and light as well and a clip would be too bulky. The small ones that do exist are too hard on my hands to open.

You like doing things the hard way.

3 Likes

You just now realized that? :rofl: There are a lot of things on my boards where I could have taken a faster method, but didnā€™t because I donā€™t like how it would look or I wanted some cool feature I thought of.

Hell, I have done the same thing on a few pair of pants that were too big for me. There was plenty of extra length in the legs and I could have just cut all the extra fabric off, but instead I figured out a way to make them into convertible cuffed pants using those magnets. It took way more time but it was worth it have that option. (the pants material required dry cleaning anyway so adding magnets isnā€™t an issue for washing them)