How to: Ackmaniac ESC Tool

Happy to help. Make sure you read through the tutorial, all of the data is there. I don’t want you to make a mistake and burn up a VESC.

4 Likes

Is there an Ackmaniac version for Mac OS? Or am I best off just using Vesctool? I don’t have access to a PC, unfortunately.

I would start here…

Hi guys. I’m using Flipsky FSESC Dual 6 with original fw 3.57 + default hw_no_limit. I’m new in DIY, 2 stupid questions need to ask.

1. Can I directly flash the latest ackmaniac fw and what fw should I use? Vesc6 hw_no_limit ?
  2. I’m using flipsky Bluetooth module nrf51_vesc. Can I use the ackmaniac android app directly?

Hope u guys can answer my question asap. I gonna do it in few hours later soon.

Can’t answer you on the FW part because I am not sure but the BT module from Flipsky won’t work with the Ackmaniac’s app…tried it myself :sob:

I’ve asked this question a couple of times without getting an answer. (Searched for the answe aswell)
And I’m too big of a pussy to try it out on my foboxes…
So while doing a setup for dual drive… Can I have the CAN bus wire connected from beginning to end of installation?

Also if I ever have to redo detection of both motors, do I need to disconnect the canbus wire in that case?

Depends on your hw version (focbox unit and some other 4.12 variants). I believe rule of thumb is you don’t unplug the canbus cable while the vescs are on. I’m sure the experts will chime in. Tag em?

Yes I’ve had the pleasure finding out the hardway that you should not remove canbus while system has power… This is why I put a bit of hot glue on the canbus connector…

But the question is still : can I have canbus connected through the whole process from beginning to end while setting them up.

Or do I have to do the setups without the cb connector? (<— This is how I always do it)

@mmaner do you know the answer to this?

2 Likes

I do the config from start to end with canbus connected. as long as you dont remove power from 1 ESC while the other other is powered, there is no issue.

3 Likes

I have always left mine connected and the other boards Ive built for friends. The only time I disconnected one was a focbox v1.6. I wasn’t comfortable w it knowing it has no canbus protection.

Vesc I didn’t worry about were:

• Trampa vesc6
  • Focbox singles 1.7
  • Fsesc 6

This is based on my experience.

2 Likes

@mmaner @pookybear
Thanks guys! I can die in peace now

2 Likes

@mmaner Thanks for the article, really helpful.

I just updated the two sides of my fsesc 6.6 dual (mini version) following the steps you gave and except for different hardware versions I didn’t notice any difference.
Am i missing something ?

3 Likes

nope, it should be the same. I just didn’t have any VESC 6 variants to test with, so I didn’t include them in the tutorial. glad you enjoyed it, happy to help.

1 Like

HELP!!!

(please)

I just uploaded:
ESC Firmware Version 3.103, Hardware: 60, UUID: 4D 00 51 00 19 50 48 57 4B 34 38 20
To my recently purchased Maytech VESC6s
Everything went easy-peasy thanks @mmaner

Then installed an HM-10 bluetooth module bought from @BKB

5v, ground, Rx and Tx all hooked up, the module powers!

PPM and UART along with baud rate 9600 uploaded to ESC 0

I go to the Ackamaniac Mobile app, I can connect to the module HMsoft I believe
No telemetry comes thru, everything is zeros, and I get a message “ESC not connected”

anyone have any ideas or help?

Double check that you set PPM and Uart.

2 Likes

Double - Triple - Quadruple checked.

:crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

BTW I get no lights LEDs at all on the module, except when I unhook power then I get a short flickering red LED for a brief second.

weird!!!

Faulty Module?

user error???

1 Like

Did you set the baud rate to 9600?

1 Like

YUP!
10char

2 Likes

Did you make sure to write config after changing it?

1 Like

I just check the specs on the HM-10 module:

HM-10 Module Features

• BT Version: Bluetooth Specification V4.0
  • BLE chip - Bluetooth Low Energy consumption
  • Send and receive no bytes limit.
  • Working frequency: 2.4GHz ISM band
  • UART Serial Interface
  • Full-Speed USB Interface
  • 12 General Purpose Input/output Pins
  • In-System-Programmable Flash- 128 KB or 256KB
  • 8-KB SRAM
  • 32-kHz Sleep Timer With Capture
  • Long range: Open space have 100 Meters
  • Potable size
  • HM-10 MODULE Specifications
    *** Operating voltage of MODULE: 2.0V – 3.6V**
  • Can operate on LOW voltages
  • Consumes 235uA on battery backup
  • Input RF level: 10dBm
  • Maximum voltage: + 3.9V
  • Operating temperature: -40ºC to +85ºC
  • ESD: 750V

It came with a connector cable from BKB and it is definitely

connected to 5v connection on the VESC

Did I fry it? Is it supposed to be connected to 5v? Or repin it and connect to 3.3v right next to it.

:crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

2 Likes