How to: Ackmaniac ESC Tool

Awesome write up. Well done. I didn’t know this version had a wizard.
I’m still sticking with 3.38 though. It just works for me and also has reverse which I like.

Is reverse really removed from the latest VESC tool? That’s weird. I’m glad I no longer update my fw for exactly these kind of reasons.

2 Likes

Reverse is implemented via NRF remotes, with possibility to limit power and speed for reverse.
PPM reverse is not yet part of VESC-Tool. However, PPM reverse is probably happening sooner than later.
Now that user profiles exist, a safe reverse mode with speed and power limits can be coded pretty fast.

I’ve been looking around for info on cruise control and how to set it up but I haven’t found much if anything about it with any specificity, would anyone be able to make a write-up like this? I’d really appreciate it

As it turns out your are right. I didn’t spend enough time trying to understand that process.

Hybrid mode = Sensors at Low Speeds, No Sensors at High Speed

I mixed up sensored and FOC in my head. Than you for pointing that out.

5 Likes

There you go, lashing out because someone hurt your feelings…again. Have you tried therapy?

For all your raving, you didn’t actually defend your proposition. The facts are…

1. There ARE issues with the new VESC Tool including the lack of a stable reverse (for PPM) and unusable values defined at detection in the wizard.
  2. I didn’t publish a ‘How To’ to damage Ben, just to help people get the features they want.

Multiple people have made requests of Ben for Max ERPM on Direction switch for 2 years, the requests have been made formally and in PM. Every time those requests have been ignored.

Correct, which is why I published this ‘How To’ article, to help resolve that issue for people.

95% of the people that ride/build esk8’s don’t have NRF capable remotes. I personally have 2 grand worth of remotes, none of which are NRF. NRF is NOT going to replace PPM anytime soon. By removing support for PPM you are causing issues for most of your customer base. It was a bad decision, fix it and there won’t be a problem. Try to force people (like you normally do) and this will keep happening.

This is FAKE NEWS, to use your term. The features we have asked for have been in use for years with zero issues. Your logical fallacies don’t change that. You’re making up problems to sell remotes, plain and simple.

I’ve tried to be logical and concise, not bait you when we have these discussions. You have NOT. You have insulted me and been across the board rude. So let me be clear…I am informed, all of the statements contained in this article are correct and you sir, are a liar.

Are you saying that I haven’t been in contact with Ackmaniac? How would you know that, it’s not true, but your knowing is impossible. I realize you’re talking about Ben, but I am not. I am talking about Ackmaniac. Once again, your shit ain’t the only shit that matters Frank.

!. Maybe he is, but he continually ignores feature requests.
2. Maybe he does, but he continually ignores feature requests.

I would be using one of the other dozen or so speed controllers that exist, so would everyone else.

7 Likes

God knows he couldn’t do any worse than Frank :slight_smile:

I have had that same issue on my Carvon V4 TD’s and Hummie hubbs. I experimented for days with battery & motor settings and current & control types. I finally settled on the Battery Current Max Regen setting of -40’ish and dialed it in on both. I’ve been happy with that.

Thanks for saying that. So many people have NOT said that for fear of Frank’s reprisals.

PREACH!

It’s been done, multiple times, for years. It hasn’t worked. Next.

BS, he coded for you. The only changes that have been made the VESCT-Tool were to help you sell and make it harder for other companies to sell. Fact!

For PPM, yes.

Ackmaniac’s firmware supports cruise control via a secondary PPM channel. If you have a remote with multiple channels, you are 90% there. I’m not a fan of cruise control, but I can see how a lot of people are. The new FlipSky VX1 has it built in, maybe that helps.

8 Likes

Hahaha, I’m still on 2.54 Ackmaniac firmware and BLDC-Tool for Ackmaniac. When something works, don’t touch it ! Never saw any new feature I considered trying so stayed in 2.54.

But I will try the new “Ackmaniac-ESC TOOL” with my new builds (but only after I successfully configured in 2.54 first)

5 Likes

I am also on an older FW version, Is there any big new features in Ack’s FWs that would prompt me to update?

1 Like

I’ve put that release on the last two I worked on. Very happy with it.

2 Likes

Nothing huge, stay were you are unless you have issues. I still have boards on Ack 2.54, if it works it works :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I donated $20 to the vesc project and yes I hate that my remote has the reverse function but all I got as options is current or no current or current no reverse with break. I’ve been running current. But now thanks to @mmaner I will be testing the ack later today. As for Ben thanks man but you’re a ghost on these forums. As for @Trampa why is it every post that points out flaws in the vesc6 or vesc tool you think it’s a direct attack on Ben. It’s not. I will say that my 2 new vesc6(thanks @Trampa they look beautiful) and my old vanda vesc run my motors the same but the vesc6 runs them a lil hotter and I’m trying to counter that now. My vandas never make my motor more than 97 degrees f and the vesc6 with all the same settings runs at 102 f. Anyway I appreciate everyone doing a great job. There will be flaws and issues with everything and as a community that’s what we want to keep fixing, so that things get better not worse. I’m expecting my new prototype dirtboard not to have any but that’s my OCD and yes sure I will have kinks to iron out. I believe if we keep the set back of jealousy and competition for the track then as a community we can move forward to making esk8 the next big extreme sport. Let’s not squabble anymore. Trust im sure trampa and Ben make way more $$ than manner, LHB, or myself but doesn’t stop us from being apart of what is perfecting the esk8 world also. So let people say what they want and don’t get so defensive. i-aint-even-mad-gif-4

4 Likes

I agree with most everything you said other than this…

I think @longhairedboy has done more to influence esk8 in the last 3-4 years than Tramp/Ben have by a massive margin. It’s not all about, or even mostly about, the ESC. It’s about the ride, flare, freedom & style. It’s about custom fit & monstrous performance.

It’s about building and riding a Lightning Powered Murder Board ™ :slight_smile:.

5 Likes

I edited it. Its supposed to say money. They make more money. I did not intend to say they make more contributions.

1 Like

That’s what I’m building for. The very idea. The automobile made traveling from the east to west Freedom. And I believe esk8 or EVs in general are the new way to find that again.

giphy

1 Like

Ask not what the vesc tool can do for you but what you can do for the vesc tool… sounds upside down

1 Like

It is upside down. The VESC is no longer a community project that can rely on community support. It is a for profit enterprise where a single organization reaps all the rewards. There are other groups that are doing cool things that the community actually wants, I’ll spend my money there.

But, since the Ackmaniac app and firmware is here, we can still make the VESC a very usable platform.

5 Likes

Where is Ack at? Anyone tell him to get over here yet? I would, but I still have 1000 years to wait before I can post over on the old forum.

5 Likes

I PM’d him a bit ago.

2 Likes

I don’t think we can solve the problem using the most outdated tool out yet.

If we start submitting feature request upstream (it’s OS) things will move quicker.

What the f**k… is frank going for president? “Fake News” I’m sure he’s working biggly hard to make the VESC great again…

2 Likes