How much does CF afftect remote signal really

Im aware that this question was asked many times but I couldn’t find an answer backed up by real world experience.

My evo 42 is a bit to flexible to my liking, and damaged cosmetically quite a bit, since Im redoing my whole board because it fell in the sea due to remote fault its a good time to restore the deck.

Id like to wrap the deck in carbon for the extra rigidity and the looks, probably only the top side, if its stiff enough then that would be it, if not the bottom as well.
I could achive the same result with fiberglass but CF just looks so good :smiley:

Now my worries are that the signal will be disturbed and since my accident remote reliability is #1

So can someone who has a carbon skinned deck chime in with some experience?

1 Like

Well the evolve gtr reciever is almost completely surrounded and is okay.

1 Like

I’ve done quite a few decks with thick carbon weave and I never noticed any issues with signal strength or drop outs in rural areas. I have had some issues in downtown city areas though. When skinning a deck the top layer is more cosmetic than anything. It will eventually delaminate itself if the weave is thick due to compression from flex. My suggestion based on my overall limited experience has taught me that 1 or two 8oz material I think) carbon weaves road side will stiffen the board up nicely (you can always sand the finishing layer and add more carbon if needed). Finally a single thinner top layer for cosmetic purposes. If you live in a dense city area, I would suggest drilling a teeny tiny hole just big enough for your antenna to stick out the top of the deck and fill it using a syringe with electronics silicone sealant.

For scale purposes I weigh 165lbs.

2 Likes

My plan was to use 240g/m2 or 0.8oz/sqft.

Also the remote I will use is puck and it has a reciever with no “wire” antenna.

Im not sure how much radio interference there really is in my city, but I dont think its much.
Also dont want to risk signal reliability in any way after what happened haha

1 Like

Nice, puck should be fine. No personal experience but I’ve read only good things.

You can always keep a patch of bare wood or metal where you’ll place your receiver. This way you don’t even need to figure out if CF will block your signal :ok_hand:t4:

2 Likes

Yea that can be done on the bottom, but if I would have a cutout on the top that would be real ugly maybe glassfrit could cover it

2 Likes

Make it a feature! Make the bare spot a neato design.

1 Like

No idea about the RF, but this is correct.

Carbon will do two fifths of fuck all under compression , it works best under tension.

4 Likes