Homemade battery psck with a normal soldering iron

Hi, so after my e-scooter skateboard I’ve decided I want to build a speedboard, but my current battery is to high, so I was wondering if I need a spot welder or i can use a normal soldering iron to make it

Kindly, someone who has no idea what they are doing.

1 Like

It’s generally appreciated if people do at least minimal effort making their own research before starting a thread here. Googling “spot welding vs soldering cells” would give you a ton of useful info. In short, you may damage the cells by soldering directly on them so best to avoid it.

7 Likes

Please don’t. Use the hard-won standards developed over the years. Battery safety is of the utmost importance.

3 Likes

I’ve personally soldered a pack and can confirm I blew up at least 3 cells in my house doing so. I threw them in a cast iron pot and slammed the lid just in time for them to off-gas. Just spend the extra money and get a spot welder or pay someone on the thread to do it. Battery builders have the skills and materials to wind up making your pack cheaper than doing it yourself at times.

7 Likes

If you’re going to build less than six batteries, you should buy one from a builder instead. There are many very good ones in various geographic areas.

2 Likes

That is, if you don’t want to learn anything.

Learning to build packs and handling batteries safely has teached me a lot about about being precise.

3 Likes

and patient, and also preplanning

2 Likes

This is correct.

If your goal is learning, no matter what it costs or how long it takes, by all means, build them.

If your goal is having a battery and/or minimizing currency outflow, then definitely buy one from a reputable builder (not from AliExpress).

7 Likes

Also, while building might be a good learning experience, that doesn’t mean you should learn by building a bomb with a soldering iron. So either way, build properly and expect (and budget for) mistakes, or buy one, but do not build using a known bad method

6 Likes

That’s not the learning I meant XD, always contact the forum when in doubt about batteries.
Never solder them, unless the lesson is about thermal runaway

1 Like

Oh yeah I got you don’t worry. I was just trying to make sure OP definitely doesn’t attack some cells with an iron for the “learning experience”

1 Like

I met a guy that tried to solder a pack and ended up killing the whole pack twice, and 3 p groups on the final try.

He didn’t use the battery past testing.

Just because its possible doesn’t mean you should do it.

1 Like

Eh who knows. But some of my mates and I need a spot welder so we are all probably gonna split it with us

1 Like

Yeah I mean I’m relatively in favour of getting a welder. You’ll still hit problems, but read the battery builders club thread and be open to redoing and fixing mistakes and it could be a good time

Just know you’re not gonna save money unless you’re making a bunch, and there are real and substantial risks. But to a lot of us it is fun

1 Like