Homage to the heritage

Damn dude! Those rails :drooling_face:
Good work!

2 Likes

Your work is inspiring and absolutely beautiful. I’ve very tempted to try studs on an upcoming finishing job. I never 100% loved frit for it’s bubbly and chaotic look.

The question is- do studs pass the functional test?
Do they stay?
Do they grip?
Do they damage shoes?
Do they draw blood on bare feet?

4 Likes

You say this like it’s a bad thing :smile:

1 Like

Agreed! I’ve acknowledged that quite a few times now and I’m wetting my pants with excitement, waiting to conclusively find out the answer! I’m very confident though. You’re asking all the right questions…

Right now I’m treating this almost as tenderly as a newborn baby. The most grief the studs have seen is in the sanding process and when the board gets rubbed down with a cloth. All I can tell you is that they feel super locked-in. I’ve tried pushing them in all directions as hard as I can with my finger but my finger’s gonna break way before they budge.

:100: No question about it.

Maybe. Probably. Probably not any more than cut-glass would and probably not to the extent that you’ll be replacing your Vans every month or so. I’d advise you not to rock your leather soled brogues on it though.

No.

Heel

12 Likes

29 Likes

tenor

8 Likes

Best looking board ive ever seen

13 Likes

I’m excited to see what drive-train and hubs this board gets. Could be Build of the Year in the making :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ll be honest with you, I really hadn’t planned on doing very much beyond just the deck itself. There’s a few bits and pieces I’d like to get around to that would really complement it but I’m probably just going to focus my efforts on the artwork/fabrication. I’ve still got JPS, Martini and Benetton to get on with! :joy:

Thanks again everyone for the kind words and the overwhelming support. I can’t tell you how much it means to me. :fist_right: :fist_left:

12 Likes

So do you plan to hang it up on the wall as an art piece, or sell it to the highest bidder? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

We participated in a summer camp for kids that was held at the now closed World of Speed.

The day campers were broken into teams that designed their own deck then assembled the trucks and drive system. They competed in a drag race and road coarse with the councilers as pilots. Anyways one of the teams used the Martini Logo.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmXnTZrBzwq/?utm_medium=copy_link

5 Likes

Haha!! That’s exactly what F1TechArt said. And it’s tempting in a way cos I realise I’m spending a lot of my time just admiring it. :joy:

The prospect of standing on it with dirty shoes, thrashing it around the place and getting it all beaten up feels totally sacrilegious but look, it’s a deck ffs. That’s the whole point. Leaving the Porsche 917 on its stand at the 1969 Geneva Motor Show and not entering it into the World Sportscar Championship would’ve been just as silly :wink:

I’d love to see someone to take it and build out the full 917 Gulf concept. Jesus, I might even be tempted to buy it back! :joy:

4 Likes

Ha! That’s wicked. What a fantastic concept! Lucky kids!

Those kids are setting the bar high too. I better pull my socks up!

1 Like

How did you do the rails so perfectly???

4 Likes

With a huge investment of time, patience and masking tape. I was thinking of taking a photo of all the used-up masking tape just to illustrate the point.

I still wouldn’t describe it as perfect. Some areas are a bit wonky. The hardest bit was getting the masking radii right around the contours at the tips. The two dark blue lines were the most critical - keeping their thickness and the distance between them consistent, and making sure they were as crisp as possible because they make the contrast between the blue and the orange.

I don’t know if it’s because of the curvature of the rails or is just the regularity of the lines but seriously, the smallest variation really seems exaggerated to the eye.

2 Likes

I felt I went through this just masking my rails semi-perfectly to bedliner spray the bottom of my deck, but this is another level of masking, patience and detail.
Kudos! Looks awesome

1 Like

Holy fuckin hell this is so clean. Beautiful work man.

4 Likes

Oooooohhh my god that is lovely! Well done mate :clap:

3 Likes

I want that… is it like vinyl wrap? Where can I get it?

2 Likes

Its a custom design printed on vinyl i believe.