Homage to the heritage

Holy fuckin hell this is so clean. Beautiful work man.

4 Likes

Oooooohhh my god that is lovely! Well done mate :clap:

3 Likes

I want that… is it like vinyl wrap? Where can I get it?

2 Likes

Its a custom design printed on vinyl i believe.

It’s printed on fabric and laminated in the time-honoured fashion. More details in the thread above.

3 Likes

A quick word on the Pareto principle.

Getting to this…

shiny

…from this:

…takes an enormous amount of work :joy: I’ve learned so much in the process though and I’m satisfied(-ish) with the outcome. I don’t think I’m satisfied enough to be prepared to sell this one though. This one is going to hang in the workshop for a while to remind me of the things I need to do better next time.

I’m probably being more critical of the outcome than most but I reckon if something’s worth doing, it’s worth doing well. I’m interested to see how far I can improve my technique and fine-tune things. That last 20% of the finished outcome is going to get even more attention :joy:

So I’m gearing up now for the next batch. While I’m sourcing the decks, we’ve got the design for the Ferrari 312t almost ready as well as a new and controversial Porsche livery. I’ll post some updates on those shortly.

22 Likes

Beautiful!! :clap:

3 Likes

Fucking hell man, gorgeous :heart_eyes:
Did you end up clearcoating and wetsand/polish?
Been meaning to message you with my clearcoat results…

5 Likes

Fenominal :sweat_drops:

4 Likes

I can’t even imagine how beautiful this looks in person.
This makes me want to learn how to skin. I applaud all of your work!

4 Likes

Now hear me out…
mcqueen

7 Likes

The thought had occurred to us…

We’re hopefully treading the right side of the thin line there. Number one rule: no eyeballs :grin:

6 Likes

Thanks buddy. Yeah, wetsand & polish, indeed. It was a bit too warm when I applied the clearcoat so again I had a shitty orange-peel I needed to sand back. That’s no big deal on the tips and centre section but it’s a royal pain to level-off in between the studs.

4 Likes

Incredible result but just thinking about the amount of work that went into this makes me sick. You are a true masochist.

9 Likes

He is, hes a madman! Btw i dibs the ferrari livery!

4 Likes

Impressive attention to detail, and I would go totally crazy glueing those studs in a perfectly aligned fashion. Only to realize that one is slightly out of whack.
Anyway, out of laziness, I would personally explore using some patches of metal mesh as grip. They would provide traction, (with the right mesh pattern), still let some of the amazing paint job shine through the holes, and not look out place in the car racing theme, as that’s something you’d commonly find on air intakes.

Something like that:

3 Likes

Found this Lancia Delta S4 '85 on an Italian rally group’s Facebook and thought you guys would appreciate it.

This Switchblade HT’s graphic would pair perfectly with its livery.

3 Likes

Ferrari 312t details added above!

Question! What would look best? The Ferrari emblems lined up along the rider’s pov (as shown) or rotated so that the points of the emblems point outwards towards the rails?

• Rider’s POV (longways)
  • Facing the rails (sideways)

0 voters

Let me know if you have any other feedback on the design!

1 Like

I’m curious to see how that turns out. I’ve slipped on that stuff before when I wasn’t pulling high-Gs :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

For all of you voting ‘sideways’, here’s what that looks like:

I am not a fan. Looks right on the car and wrong on a deck. Spoils the whole flow imo.

3 Likes