Homage to the heritage

Those studs look interesting. I’m curious to see how well they hold up. I was thinking that if they end up shearing off, you could countersink/recess them into the deck 1-2mm or something.

4 Likes

I bet you could find some ornamental studs like that with a nail or screw on the reverse side.

and/or shove a socket head screw into a drill press and go at it with some sandpaper until it’s as sharp as you like.

4 Likes

Really impressed with the handful that you’ve already done in a couple of months.

6 Likes

200-2

Great project @brown5tick ! Love throwback/retro design work in general and you guys are nailing it.

Excited to see how these come out!

15 Likes

:blush:. This ain’t my thread though, @brown5tick is killing it here!
Speaking of, I think your studs will stay the way you did them, the pyramid shape should have them locked in good. If you think of medium glass that sits there all Willie nilly, the graduating shape of the studs should have a step up.
Sanding the bottom could help give some reassurance.

6 Likes

@mmaner did a great job!

1 Like

dunno how I missed this thread till now, any chance you’ll do livery’s outside of F1 stuff? some of my favs:

boss or basf:

WHAT ABOUT SOME ART CAR STUFF?!:

yes I’m a massive Bimmer head. (mainly the old stuff)

13 Likes

Yeah, absolutely… everything’s possible in good time, but sure! The next designs will be Marlboro McLaren, Ferrari 312T (actually, I think it was you that first suggested it), Rothmans Porsche and possibly a Senna helmet design.

BASF BMW is a dead cert. I had a toy M1 when I was little nipper so it’s got a special place in my heart. :blush: I love that Lichtenstein 3-series as well! :heart_eyes:

Jagermeister needs to be done as well, doesn’t it!? :joy:

…although I expect that where there’s a will, there’s a way :laughing:

7 Likes

yep that was me too lol

and fuck yeah dude on the senna helmet. you gotta do Hunts for a simple theme too, but make sure “the patch” is on there somewhere :rofl:

3 Likes

True! They’re very common in fact, for leather jackets and handbags and such like. I had to sift thru mountains of them to find these! The prospect of drilling and screwing them all in isn’t hugely appealing though and you’ll never find them as small as these. I’m actually wondering if even the 3 mm studs might be a bit too big. We’ll see when I get them ride-tested.

2 Likes

You, sir, are a gentleman. You’ve put the spring back in my step. Thanks very much! :pray:

4 Likes

I don’t blame you for this but I was able to find some small piercing spikes that might work well:

8 Likes

Them’s the ones, yeah. Assuming that thread is 2 mm in diam, even the smallest of those has to be about 6-8 mm high, right?

The Gulf deck has been taking quite a bit of grief during the sanding process. I’m increasingly convinced that those studs aren’t going anywhere. They’re locked down toight, boy. Toight like a toiger. :tiger:

10 Likes

Am I missing something there?

No offense I love your artwork and you know it man, but your two last posts sound salty somehow?

5 Likes

Long story, but its cool. We talked about it off line.

3 Likes

word - anyone who use’s Austin’s/Goldmember’s metric for tension understands what he’s talking about :rofl:

6 Likes

I would say that this needs further clarification because I have no idea what this is all about …but I’m inclined to say that we should try and just keep the thread content-rich and drama-free.

But since you’re here, what do you think of the project? :smiley:

7 Likes

Oh it really had nothing to do with you at all! It was just something between me and @PedroMcJimenez that we cleared up.

It looks great!

I’m a big fan of the style. I have one in early stages that is similar and have done a few Martini style.

Fun to see the direction people take the style.

You are doing some cool work! Love the little pegs, I have played with things similar but just wasn’t super psyched on how mine came out. Yours look like a much better product though .

18 Likes

Oh wow! That looks phenomenal! :heart_eyes:

…and thanks for the kind words, dude. Means a lot to me.

7 Likes

Just sayin… :wink:

5 Likes