Homage to the heritage

I just used acrylics and then epoxied over them. You can see in the updates above that I also needed to fill and sand those rails because the PU is pretty uneven.

Interesting that you took it down to the wood grain. I think a thin satin skin over wood grain looks fantastic. Is that the plan, by any chance?

Good luck with it, man!

Edit: looking again at that image, it looks like you’ve planed through the PU and deck to get the surface off. How did you do it?

What I didn’t know is that the flux deck has if I remember correctly 2 layers of fiberglass layers. One oriented along the deck length and other one diagonally. On top of that is a vinyl print.

My first idea was just to sand it down. But the print has some kind of rubbery-plastic coat on top that just wouldn’t sand down.

Then I took the other route. Heat gun. Then once you peel off all of that fiberglass and vinyl you are left just with a glue that can be sanded down… It takes time but it’s doable.

This is how it looks like peeled of.

All of this came off

I guess the deck has lost quite a bit of structural strength by removing those layers. But hopefully print fabric and epoxy will bring it back.

We will see :joy:

4 Likes

But now I see this post.

https://forum.esk8.news/t/pictures-and-nothing-else/30415/7742?u=eretron

And @Nacho doesnt have this PU ring obviously… What is happening here?

@EboardSolutions could you share some info at what point in time you have implemented PU protection around the deck?

I did order this deck a bit later then the first 5 pieces. I’ll have to open those and see if this is the only one with PU ring around the deck.

4 Likes

@nacho may have not gone as deep as you and maybe he hit the top layer with primer before doing the paint job.

2 Likes

Passed a mock Gulf Porsche 917k today on the road but couldn’t snap a pic. Thought of you and this build immediately :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Quick update from the brown5tick workshop…

Four Lacroix decks in various stages of readiness. Still lots more work to do on all of them though.

22 Likes

:heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

If you’re watching this thread then you’re probably a Motorsport/F1 fan. You might also know that I live in the Netherlands where our man just won F1 Driver’s World Championship.

So I reckon my next design’s gonna be a commemorative RB16b #33. Wdyt? The white one from Turkey?

9 Likes

Hell yes, the white one is dope!

3 Likes

One hell of a controversial race… by both sides, will be interesting to see what the FiA does over Merc’s double protest… can’t wait to see what you come up with though

5 Likes

Whats your intention here? Will you ever sell these?

2 Likes

He thrives on esk8er jealousy.

3 Likes

Yes. Two are already sold.

1 Like

hamilton was robbed

3 Likes

It’s true, but he was also caught with his pants down. RB/Verstappen was better prepared for the unexpected. Then Hamilton left Verstappen’s favourite inside line wide open when Verstappen was in a position to far out-brake him. A series of bad judgement calls, as it turns out.

4 Likes

Very poor strategy from Merc. It was a lucky win for Max but I think both drivers really deserved the championship this year.

3 Likes

• Render!? Blasphemy!
  • Background photoshopped out!? Nice!

0 voters

2 Likes

Thanks @rusins and @Nextgin for the kind compliment! Here’s the original for you mis-believers.

…and another one for your consideration :wink:

Next steps for these and the JPS Lotus is to get the studs fitted and add a few glossy topcoats. The Ferrari 312T still needs the rails done. Everything’s on stop now until the New Year… except maybe to make a start on the white Red Bull livery and maybe a Williams FW14 too.

Merry Xmas everyone! :partying_face:

10 Likes

Just gorgeous dude, nice work!
Are you painting the rails or wrapping the skin around it? Looks damn seamless :clap:

3 Likes

Amazing work :muscle:

Are sides on these decks rubber/plastic or wood?

Oh wait. Those are lacroix decks not flux?

3 Likes