holy fucking shit my board just caught fire

My ESC just burst into flames.

I was chillin with some dudes at a charge stop and when we pulled out my board went a few feet and then locked up.

I noticed that one of the motor connectors was I think not fully connected. No idea how that happened I guess I neglected to screw together the collar that holds it together last time I was messing with it and then maybe I knocked it apart when disconnecting the charger or something?

Anyway I ubered home and a few minutes after I got home I heard a weird sound and there was fucking flame squirting out the ports.

I debated throwing it off the balcony but the flame died down so I took it down the stairs to the parking lot instead:

It smells like a battery fire but my battery looks good so I’m thinking what I’m smelling is just burned up electronics from inside the ESC

My working theory is that trying to punch it with one motor partly or fully disconnected popped something in the ESC creating a short that kept heating up for the next hour.

10 Likes

So I’m a very unpopular person in my building right now. I didn’t realize while I was disecting this board in the parking lot my neighbors were in the hallway debating whether to call the fire department.
It really stunk up the place.

8 Likes

Damn glad everyone including you is ok though.

11 Likes

time to get to know your neighbors!

5 Likes

Oh man. I’m glad you are ok!

3 Likes

I also had my stormcore catch fire a few months ago, while it was just sitting. That sucks man I hope you figure out what happened.

5 Likes

Holy shit dude this sucks!

A similar thing happened to me with one of my DV6, and had black smoke billowing out at work.

I hope your other parts are okay. It looks like your stormcore is the culprit here, I would contact Lacroix about it asap if I were you.

2 Likes

Is there a know fire hazard with Stormcore ESCs?

6 Likes

I had a loose motor phase wire, my 6.6 dual crapped out, when i got home there was a short in one channel of the esc, had i kept pushing it im sure something woulda blown. Long story short, loose phase wire cause problem, not sure why.

4 Likes

Perhaps a reason to have a topside obvious error indicating light? is that putting the chicken noodle soup before the egg?

2 Likes

OK,this is how i will tell if my gf spies on this site,if so she will loose her mind. I had to build a fucking bunker to get her off my ass. I have welding blankets,smoke alarms and powder fire bombs all over my garage,. I am aware this may not stop my massive battery from catching fire ,but i had to do something to get her off my ass

Question im assuming any extinguisher you can carry on a ride is not got a chance in hell of stoping a fire? I want to say right now if my board ever burns on the side of the road,IM CRYING LIKE A BITCH, because 1 fucking fire and ill never be able to ride a Esk8 again AND have the same GF.if it ever burns in my garage ill never live it down.

6 Likes

Theres special lithium extinguishers. Generally they dont work that well tho xD
Down in the lab at work, we have a big box with special granulates, if something catches fire or vents we toss it in this big box and quickly close the lid to suffocate any fire.

If its a bigger fire, we have escape routes (our battery setups are usually comprised of 2k+ cells) for our trolleys where the battery is situated, rolling it outside to not burn down the office while wearing a gasmask is the primary goal.

Allegedly the most effective way to deal with lion fires are cooling the cells down. preventing thermal runaway. Practically this pretty much means submerging it all in water.

To get back to topic, @GnomeMeansNo, be mindful of the gases released during an actual battery fire. They’re extremly toxic and very bad for you. Electronics fire isn’t that great for you either, but proabably not as bad.

18 Likes

Thank you, i was going to suspend sand in paper bag above a brick enclosure my boards would sit in . My thinkig was the thin paper would allow the sand to flow and fill the enclosure and if not suffocate the fire,at least encapsulate it and perhaps cool it?
I am so far out of my depth,so excuse my ignorance. Is there a granular product better than sand? I know i cant smother a lithium fire,but would not 6" of sand or more contain the flames,and hopefully prevent spred if not smoke and fumes? The box idea is more attarctive to my current encapsulation with 3 layers of welding blankets and powder balls in side,its clumsy i dont like it .

1 Like

Vermiculite is what we use in our boxes, its the same stuff that is in some extinguishers.
definatly better than sand.

3 Likes

Yeah when I was trying to get clearance to use them in a university lab that was the solution we came to. Very small vape cells so it’s easy to have nearly 1000x the cell volume in water sitting right next to the test

1 Like

Dang that sucks!! You should totally inspect the battery and make sure that it wasn’t damaged by the storm core fire.

Once we confirm to the battery is safe (almost certainly is, may need a new XT90) we can get you some new heat shrink and a new end cap for it :+1:

2 Likes

What were your settings? Slow ABS set to true or false? Curious what the inside of the Stormcore looks like too.

2 Likes

11 Likes

Glad no other property was damaged and you are safe duder.

Out of curiosity how old was your stormcore? A lot of 60d+ and 100dx seem to be very questionable quality control wise circa spring 2022 till January 2023 ish.
This is very anecdotal but there certainly was an uptick of burned stormcores being posted around.

2 Likes

I think we have to say yes at this point.

3 Likes