High speed mountainboard build? The shopping list for now

I’m definitely not getting the height on the jumps as the pros but I’m certainly putting the strain on these matrix 2s.

Aside from the qc issues I’ve been fortunate enough to avoid, I can’t recommend them enough :call_me_hand:

Ps there’s like a billion more falls :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

:eyes:

1. Brake holes being a few mm to cm different left to right.

2. Baseplate being not super tight of a fit with the hanger.

Mbs has fixed/replaced every single one of these issues free of charge when a customer has brought up an issue. Joel is a great dude. I’d be honored to buy him a beer sometime. Dylan too.

2 Likes

Ah, i heard about number 1, quite problematic with moon drives. Number 2 worries me a bit though. Here they go through atbshop that has awesome customer service too but i wonder just how many can i replace before they get fed up with me lol

@moon would know the exact number but iirc maybe one person has had the issue of the brake hole being too far over to the point it wasn’t usable.

Best of luck in your decisions!

2 Likes

I’ve already explained issues about the brake holes to @athrx

2 Likes

ok… here you go lol

3 Likes

Well considering that these were originally designed for analog with brakes, the tolerance of those holes probably isn’t very high haha

1 Like

Yeah lots of adjustments to be made in caliper style brakes so it probably was never an issue before.

2 Likes

Maybe Matrix 3 takes more precision into account

4 Likes

I hope they go with a square profile… 22mm to be exact

2 Likes

Not super hopeful on this. Can’t remember where I saw it, but I read somewhere the Matrix II profile was optimized for rail grinds with a rounded base and extra material on the bottom, and going square would go against these changes.

3 Likes

I will say that mbs has the electric market in mind for future products.

7 Likes

idk maybe they innovate and have plastic sleeves made of UHMW that fit over the hanger profile instead.

that would be pretty dope.

1 Like

For sure, the midcycle update of the Matrix IIs definitely showed that with the metal baseplates and longer hangers for motor mount clamp area. I just don’t know if it’ll go full square though.

1 Like

Full square isn’t as great for strength reasons either. Objectively, rounder is stronger

2 Likes

And today’s update is…
Got the battery box!
No deck inserts included so they’ll have to come on the next order, but this thing is beautiful.

I am now trying to figure out how to arrange the damn cells for 12s7p, which is no longer fun. I’m waiting for 17 more mock-up cells to print and i’ll have the full set to play with.
Any input or advice is appreciated here! Keep in mind 2 vescs will fit in there, along with a small tracker and generally wire spaghetti, also the button and xt30 hole need some space too
Photo dump:

1 Like

could you weigh that box?

1 Like

Today i also ordered the trampa trucks. I’m still not convinced which one is the better choice for my use, but overall £10 barrel upgrade and so many colours to choose from got the purchase.

Cost of this build so far:
Deck: £210
Battery box: £210
Complete wheels: £162
Davega: £96
Trampa trucks, bullbar, 50cm phase wires, inserts: £325
Vesc project™ shiny sticker: £0.83

Total: £1003,83

Recycled from the current build:
2 vescs
vesc wand
12A charger

Still to come:
Moon drives: £260
Motors: £250
Battery: ~£600

2 Likes

I will within an hour or so. I only have a tiny 3kg digital scale so it might come off in separate parts.

It is quite beefy. Top and bottom panel are 3~4mm fibreglass and sidewalls around 2mm

1 Like