Help with Vesc arduino communication.

I am using stormcore 60d+ with arduino uno. vesc 5v----arduinio 5v, vesc tx-----arduino rx and vesc, rx----arduino tx. I am using solidgeeks getVescValues.ino. I set vesc app to UART( baud 115200). Changed vescSerial.begin(115200). Changed buad in arduino ide to 115200. After connecting usb I get “Failed to get data!” . Ive doubles checked connections. Checked the coding and cant seem to still get it ti work. Any help would be appreciated and can provide donation to anyone who helps. Thank you

I’ve never used that library, but in case someone has, you should post your code. Or are you just running the example .ino file from github?
Does your hardware match their description?
"Description: This example is made using a Arduino Micro (Atmega32u4) that has a HardwareSerial port (Serial1) seperated from the Serial port.
An Arduino Nano or Uno that only has one Serial port will not be able to display the data returned.
"

1 Like

I am running the example code. Using Arduino uno at present.

The Arduino uno has only one UART port. You can either use it for pc communication OR for VESC communication. I also use this library and it works great but for trying it out I recommend a board that supports multiple UARTs so you can send data to pc at the same time for trouble shooting. Once the Programm works you can go back to using a small Arduino nano or Uno with just one UART.

So in order to pull information from the vesc with vesc attached to arduino and Arduino connected to laptop to read data I need an arduino with two UART. So I need two sets of tx Rx? Example (tx, Rx ) (tx1, rx2)?

What vesc firmware are you using? Im using vesc 5.3 firmware.

Check out software serial library. You can then get a second Uart.

I use an Arduino Nano to talk with the vesc while at the same time printing data on my pc.

Yep

I was able to get numerical outputs with an occasional “failed to get data.” Are period failed to get data in the output normal or will it still work.

I treid that but it was to slow for what i was trying to do.

I tryed it with all but the newest one that just released. the libary only uses very basic commands that havent changed in forever i think.