Help with my stupid Bluetooth module. New vesc tool 2019

Actually I have to say this dongle is pretty damn good. I own two trampa dongles and they are in a different league compared to a HM-10. It’s obvious what trampa is doing, its creating a system, dongle and remotes that all work really well with the VESC. Reliable firmware updates wirelessly that take a fraction of the time are alone a game changer for me. Trampa dont make vescs accessories that are incomparable with vescs afterall. I think this is a great move, creating a collection of things that work together whilst keeping it open source and allowing it to work on almost all VESC’s

2 Likes

Coding all this FW is a big task and you don’t put effort into an outdated technology when you have a certain amount of time to invest.
HM 10 is slow and doesn’t really work for reliable FW updates and RT data. Remote connection is out of reach with HM 10.

The community benefits big time from all the VESC software and it evolved a lot in the past years. Everyone wants things to be like this or that, but someone has to code all the FW and software in the end. There is no way to please everyone.

After all it’s free code and capable people can ad support for HM 10 and submit a pull request. NRF is the way to go forward. Bluetooth 4 and 5 are standard these days. All new phones will feature Bluetooth 5 soon. Dual FW update within 30seconds is convenient and precise RT data is what everyone wants. You can buy a cheap generic NRF 51822 dongle on the Bay and solder on cables, flash it and use it. Have a look at Benjamins Youtube channel. Your VESC can program a generic dongle. Another feature that took time to code, for the benefit of everyone…
Price difference to a slow HM 10 is marginal.

6 Likes

I do applaud your companies dedication to furthering what we do, don’t know where we would be without you guys. Just not sure why you would remove support for HM-10 when that function is already there. Like you had to actually make an effort to remove support. There’s no issue with having both options so that people can choose

Also the flashing stuff you guys have worked on is fucking sick it’s a super cool option that will make life easier for so many people

HM 10 was never supported in the VESC-Tool App. Cross compatibility is another task to code and in a short time no one will use these slow modules any longer. It’s better to put effort into SWD Prog and allow slightly skilled users to make their own fast dongle within 20 minutes. And as a side effect you can rescue bricked VESCs using another VESC as a programmer. This feature alone was plenty of work for Benjamin, but he took the challenge and made it happen. Cheapest NRF 51822 dongles go for 8 euro on the german bay. They are not shielded and not as good as one of ours, but still magnitudes better than a HM 10.
My advice would be to watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFFiVxFHDM4

3 Likes

s-l500

1 Like

Super cool stuff you’ve got here. Apologies for the rashness earlier, I didn’t realise HM-10 wasn’t supported at all

No worries! Benjamin is a clever guy and when he decides to go for a certain solution, it always makes 100% sense. If you can solder some cables (or crimp some JST wire terminals), you can make your own NRF 51822 dongle with ease. If you want a worry free plug and play solution and support the project, simply get one from us.

@Trampa yeah I can understand that.

But do you know what fw was the last the hm10 bt module got supported? Ordered the “newer” bt module also now :grinning:

Only $45AUD is a really good price! Definitely will look into it once the Metr Pro is no longer useful to me

As far as I know Benjamin never used the HM-10. I might be wrong here.

1 Like

can you please link the module at your website @trampa. I cant find sth

1 Like

Front page, click on VESC, Click on VESC accessory, hit dongle.

1 Like

ah okay I think I just buy the 51822 dongle. i think thats a bit cheaper when you attach the wires yourself :slight_smile:

If you solder one up, drop Ben a small donation if you can. It took him quite some time to code that stuff.

4 Likes

postman brought me that today. Should work fine after atraching the wires. It was about 10€ shipped. So nothing to big :sweat_smile:

No reason to mess with HM10… This will perform 20 times better.

1 Like

Does hm10 module suck that bad? I’m only asking since I have zero knowledge about the subject. But I do have 2 hm10 modules that does the job on my boards.

HM-10/11 speed is about 2KB/seconds. NRF is rated for 1 Mb/s tops. At least thats what I googled

2 Likes