Help with diagnosis

So to start off. These esc’s are brand spanking new right out of the box. Both motors and the esc work together over CAN when being operated in VESC TOOL, but if i try to use my vx1 controller, it instead does this crap. They work individually, but as soon as you connect via CAN, then they suddenly dont work with the controller. Could it be just the receiver that’s bad? Or could it be the esc? I should also add that i thought it was the esc so i replaced one, and it’s still doing this

Neither, sounds like firmware isn’t configured correctly.

1 Like

I am using the same firmware on my last board, only thing different is that this is a new battery with stronger cells. Where could i start looking first in vesc tool to help figure out why this is happening?

do you have CAN forwarding set correctly? is your vx1 communicating over UART or PWM? did you use the wizard to set your remote up? did you set your remote up with the CAN cable connected or on each VESC individually? are the control modes set correctly on both ESCs?

Reflash your firmware first.

Are you programming the vesc one by one then connecting CAN or are you programming both @ the same time over CAN?

CAN forwarding is set correctly, vx1 is communicating over PPM and UART, wizard was used to set it up, i used the setup wizard with both connected over CAN, control modes are both set to Current hyst Reverse with brake

1 Like

They are being programmed both at the same time and ive tried reuploading new firmware

1 Like

I should probably include that im using VESC tool version 3.0.0 as well. Never had problems with it on my last build

What esc were you running before the new ones?

1 Like

Same vesc types as before. These are the 4.20 minis from flipsky

1 Like

im currently in VESC tool right now and it keeps disconnecting the other esc thats connected over CAN. i have to disable CAN then turn it back on again to get it to see the esc again

Change your master and slave around. Sounds like maybe a CAN cable problem or your CAN is faulting.

ive tried changing them around but i still get the same results. i genuinely dont understand whats happening. the CAN is working well inside VESC tool ONLY(asside from disconnections). they operate perfectly with the tool. but as soon as i try to use the controller it bugs out

and oddly enough im getting no errors in the debug console despite the red lights flashing

Do motor detection.

1 Like

the big man himself!!! ill give it a shot

I think @Evwan called it

2 Likes

i may have misunderstood what he was trying to say

1 Like

it keeps saying that all the esc’s need the correct version to setup the remote. yet it was just working a second ago. they are literally running the latest firmware they can support.

1 Like

they are working fine now. i had motor current max set to 80A (as it was in my last build when you showed me) after motor detection they have lowered to 24.92A. But what is weird to me is that these motors worked fine with those settings in the last build but dont now