Help wanted - belt moving away from motor (video inside)

Hi Gurus,

I’m facing some oddity with one of my motors/belt/pulleys

A picture is worth a lot, so this video should yield a high reward.

When moving forward the belt slip away from the motor, but when going backwards it gets back into position.

I’ve tried another set of hanger and mounts but to no avail. I’ve seen threads about washers here and there. Didn’t work for me.

Would this be the effect of a bent motor shaft? A problem with the pulleys?

Loosen the motor clamp and pull the motor mount inwards towards the other motor and re-tighten the clamp at the new position. You don’t have to move it a lot.

I’m trying this after work.
But i had the same behaviour on another hanger/clamp combo.

1 Like

Clamps can be tricky on non-precision trucks.

yeah the motormount/motorpulley isnt exactly centered to the wheel gear. I would try to center it a bit like @jack.luis mentioned or add some plates to the side of the pulley or buy a pulley with plates, so you are save. Had exactly that problem with my first build a loooong time ago :laughing:

1 Like

I have this problem with my eCaliber trucks. Fortunately I never go backwards on the board. It’s just the motor mount alignment / how it sits on the truck as others have mentioned, tricky to overcome. As long as the belt isn’t rubbing when you’re moving forwards then don’t worry too much.

Well this is my exact problem. The belt moves when going forward and starts to rub at real quick.
But it seems that we have a concensius over the clamp position so I’m going to try that

1 Like

This video defines why I cant stand a fucking belt system :joy:
Its impossible to keep straight.

What do you run? Gears?

Daily ride is the avio herringbone gear drive atm.
Used straght cut before that but got tired of the sound.

Have several hubs as well, they’re abit more failprone so far tho :man_shrugging:

I don’t have any more money to spend on this ATM but gear drives are tempting

Just get yourself one of these for the future. Problems solved!

I might, if i manage to pull this shit pulley out. It’s salavaged from a prebuilt and i think it’s glued on or mechanically stuck by use

1 Like

Nothing a sledge hammer and some persiverence can’t solve!

1 Like

Did you use belts on the kahua trucks? It’s the only belt setup I feel like I’m not constantly having to re-adjust. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to clamps on cast trucks, waste of time and money.

I did not, not a huge fan of the trucks actually. Only trucks that I’d ever manage to get wobbles on.

Hmm interesting what bushings do ya use with em? The only part I don’t like about them is the weight. Just a little too chonky.

The motor tensioning system is one of the best I’ve used being able to properly tension both motors so they spin up in unison is something most other motor mount makers gloss over. Or they use idlers which I’m personally not a huge fan of.

Nah that’s some Chinese DKP evolve clones.
So I’m not surprised about having theses troubles

Try to straigten the mount or put two washers under the furthest 2 motor screws or just put the pulley on backwards… problem solved I had the same problem on both of my wheels…

Not impossible at all. You simply need a good truck hanger… like a @3DServisas Fatboy so that the surface used to clamp the motor mount is perfectly straight/flat. You can also adjust how far the motor pulley protrudes on the shaft, which is something I had to get right for my belt alignment.