Help replacing broken USB port on Maytech VESC

I have a Maytech V4 VESC and the little tab inside of the micro USB port which has the contacts has broken and doesn’t make good contact with a cable. I was going to replace it with my soldering tools and hot air station but the VESC is made up of 2 PCBs and the USB traces are on the inside. The two PCBs are held together by the 2 rows of 0.100" pitch pins on the left and right side and without a hot bar soldering iron it’s impossible for me to separate them. Any advice on how I can fix this? Is there a way to find alternate USB traces so I can solder a cable onto it?

1 Like

It’s going to be a huge pain in the ass to desolder all of that.

Honestly you’d be better off just getting this

or a bluetooth module / vesc express

3 Likes

This is a job for a Bluetooth module. Flipsky sells then cheap on Ali. Make sure you get the V4 model.

Does this connect to the same port on the VESC as the receiver for the remote? I have passthrough panel connections for wires on my enclosure to keep everything enclosed and I’d prefer to not need to open it up to swap the wires if I want to connect

No, usually remotes use the pwm port. bluetooth uses the UART port.

But you can also use some remotes with UART, although there aren’t many benefits

I should’ve added, I’m using a flipsky vx2 which uses uart, not pwm

If I remember correctly, it can do both

1 Like