Help random cut out with vesc faults

While I am riding and it cuts out I sometimes get that fault as a push message on my phone it also shows it in the records like this

It shows in the records small red circle how many faults I am getting over current and drv faults. I did notice that my bullet connectors were getting hot . Hot enough that I could only touch the metal part of them for a second( guessing too much resistance through the connector). The wires themselves as well as the solder at the base of the connector seem to be ok . Due to this I am leaning towards directly splicing and soldering the phase wires to the esc wires .

Weird though with the faults they don’t show up when. Searching the terminal . I made sure to check multiple times when on and after I got the notification that there was a fault @b264

1 Like

Yes. Set that shit. I amost died when I didn’t. Otherwise great Rx/ tx

2 Likes

That’s metr

Overcurrent faults are bad but DRV faults are horrible

I would also come to the conclusion that the there was a cold solder joint on the bullet connector. Remove all shrink wrap and inspect. Try to physically pull the connector off with your hand. Post high-resolution photographs. On a good connection, you won’t be able to pull off the connector, even if you pull hard. Don’t pull the wires out of the ESC though…

I stopped using bullet connectors a long time ago.

Powering the ESC off clears the faults. You need to check the terminal before you power it off. The terminal actually gives more details about the fault, details that can be very useful for troubleshooting.

You can connect VESC Tool via metr …

Removed all bullets and straight soldered phase wires to esc . Was able to get a mile in with no faults and only one possible cut out .
Too early to tell but a huge improvement so far .

2 Likes

I have put about 20 miles on it since i hard wired the motors to the esc. No cut out and no faults anymore. Thank you for your help. :pray:

2 Likes

That’s why we’re here :slight_smile: Don’t forget to smash that donate button up top :rofl: (hosting isn’t free)

Hey. I had a similar problem when i put phase extension leads on my motors. The shitty bullet connectors were corroded under that spring collar and i would get cutouts when braking. I solved this by soaking in solder where the spring meets the bullet, but if you went as far as soldering the cables directly, a mr/mt60 will be good in the future.

Also, if you want to see if you got any faults (not which specific faults unfortunately), you can use the print threads button in terminal and one of the lines will be fault stop timer (or similar…). If it’s any number other than 0 it faulted as some point and recovered
Edit: see 5’th line

2 Likes