Help, Motor doesn't activate during run detection, VESC Tool, Stormcore 60D+

Hey All,

I am wondering if anyone knows how to solve this particular issue in the VESC Tool.

For some reason, I can only get 1 of the 2 motors to activate during and after run detection. When I do the run detection, I can only get what seems to be the local motor to move. Meanwhile, the motor connected over can-bus does not move at all.

After run detection, it says that the local motor has a hall sensor, while the can-bus motor is sensorless. This is despite both motors having a sensor cable connected.

One thing that seems off to me is the motor flux linkage for motor 1 and 2.
On the local motor, the flux linkage = .06 mWb
Meanwhile, the can-bus motor flux linkage = 1000 mWb

I don’t really know what flux linkage is, but I doubt they should be so wildly different for each motor.

In the direction setup, only the local motor moves. Meanwhile, the can-bus motor does not move at all.

Watch the video from the link, as it makes more sense as to what I am referencing:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qh_Wb8-wdR4qFWqFXOYeEE0kCmFh9sM_/view?usp=sharing

It should be noted that I am using the stormcore 60D+ as the VESC

I hope it’s not broken hardware, but I will continue troubleshooting.

1 Like

try removing the wheels and belts, or switching sides on motor cables on esc

I checked and made sure that the motors + belts + wheels were free to spin prior to the test, and I double checked after the test. I am simply wondering why it would make a difference if I removed the belts from the motors for the run detection.

It of course would remove the load from the motor, but do you think it would affect the issue of the motor not spinning at all?

1 Like

Probably not, as others have suggested swap the motors around.

1 Like

Agreed… try swapping motor sides and see if the issue still persists on that side of the VESC or if it is with the motor itself.

1 Like

Update:

I switched the sides that each motor was connected to.

I re-ran run detection. It seems that whichever motor is connected to the Can-bus side is unresponsive. Meanwhile, whichever motor is connected to the local side of the VESC spins up and is responsive.

1 Like

Which vesc tool are you using? Looks a bit old for the stormcore. I run vesc tool 3.00 for my stormcore and it works a treat. Have you tried other versions/firmwares?

Edit: its just the white that made me think your tool was old. Second glance its not.

Did you ever figure this out? I’m having the same issue

did you ever fix this issue? Im having the exact same problem