Help me fix Halbj613's Carvons

no one knows, this kind of thing just …halppens

5 Likes

I do want to call him out for selling something and then not labeling the thread as sold.
While this is not a big problem, shua should be obligated to tell the community when his cursed items leave his hands.
If he had done so, i would have known something was up when I bought them from the other guy, but now i was fully convinced they couldnt be halljb’s

I don’t know why I am not calling out who i bought this from, but I don’t like taking a shit on people, if u guys really want to know i will reveal him.
I was also not told of course that they once belonged to shua.

3 Likes

so you don’t want to call out a guy, who you “THINK” may have sold you Shua’s motors, but instead are calling out Shua, because you think he may have sold them to the guy you bought them from…

:heavy_check_mark:

this is very stand-upish of you…

heavy sarcasm alert

1 Like

Well calling out shua seems like a rite of passage on the forum here, so i at least had to do it once.
But you are right, I actually have no point in only calling out shua.

@Xaeron You are on the stand now mate.

3 Likes

2 Likes

So issue mentioned in shua’s thread is supposed to be fixed according to xaeron.
But there is still play on the stator (both!)
We will try to fix these just for fun, but if someone wants these for their skatan museum, pm.

No openly shared PMs, please. Content discussion is fine, just not screenshots as per our rules. Thanks!

4 Likes

I have never said i was only speculating this.
I know for a fact hat they were sold by halljb to xaeron.
Xaeron just did not disclose this to me, and as hallbj’s thread was not closed, there was no way to know at the time.

Anyone want sum 6x2 hubs to add to the museum collection? Bearings feel like hand spinning a motor filled with sand and ofc halb threw bearing spacers away on first sight.

Just let me find replacements and they’re going, i’m even paying shipping (within eu)

2 Likes

No idea I spoke to a couple people who told me the issue is the stripped screw if it was not that then I have no idea what the issue is and how to fix
Sorry

My only thing is it could be 1 stator is dead and needs replacing

@iNoLikeFlexyDecks did you tighten the screw on the motor can

1 Like

Well I received them with some screws on the cans missing…
Motors have been fully disassembled now, issue seems to be play on the stator.
We found the stripped “hidden” screws, we will see about replacing them, it doesnt look like any of them have been replaced before. (@Xaeron on which one did you replace the screws?)
I don’t think the cogging could be happening because of a screw on the can.
Solder job on the stator is horrible, could also be a factor.
@Halbj613 Thanks for still coming here and trying to help, is appreciated.

3 Likes

I was told that the only issue was that the screws hidden needed to be loctited in place but the stripped screw made that impossible. I fixed the stripped screw and replaced that one, and I loctited the hidden screws that show up when u extract the stator, so that is what I did, I did not replace those, just fixed them in place, the only one I replaced was the stripped one.

Then I checked that mechanically spinned perfectly turning it by hand, but still had some cogging with VESC tools in foc mode.

Then I tried with ackmaniac in BLDC, bench tested and this was the result

So that is basically all the info I gave you and all the info I have

Well u told me it worked fine even in foc :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
“I switched to ackmaniac on vesc and it spinned well both on FOC and BLDC, did not tried sensors as it has a connector for both motors and did not want to mess with that.”
“seems to be working perfectly now”

Yep, behaviour with ackmaniac was similar in FOC and BLDC, but did not take a video of FOC so that is why I was mentioning BLDC only, so people know that video is from BLDC behaviour and can help if that info is any useful

I thought the only issue was play in the stator Otherwise I don’t know sorry

This is what my carvon V4s sound like for comparison.

(This is original focboxes and the latest vesc firmware)

For mine, the spinning noise seems to come from:

• the bearings not being seated perfectly. the design seems pretty bad to me, be careful when tightening wheels, you can easily move the press fit bearings and make things worse.
  • the three screws that secure the stator to this part:

Noise was really bad on my set, and new screws and loctite completely eliminated it. Unfortunately, they did eventually loosen and the stator play and noise come back slightly. I fully expect this to get worse with time. If it gets really bad I plan on trying to add two more screws and maybe widen the existing 3 to get bigger screws in there.
1 Like

@Xaeron @Halbj613
Thanks for the info.
Let me just say that i dont have any anger towards you guys.
I feel a bit scammed of course, especially because I payed more than what hallbj sold them for while the condition is the same.
But as a refund doesnt seem to be happening, i guess I rather have some fun fixing these motors with you guys then flaming on about scam or no scam :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This is the speed drive version?

yep

Then it seems these drives were cursed from the moment they left the factory :frowning: