Help me Build my Wife a Bike

these hub kits are cheap and bulletproof af for commuting needs: https://ebikeling.com/collections/waterpoof-kits/products/waterproof-kit-36v-500w-26-geared-front-rear

2 Likes

That kit seems a pretty good price. No batteries, but I could just toss some lipos on it. I think I need to build a bike this summer.

2 Likes

Throw in one of these guys on the cheap :slight_smile:

im planning to do a 1200-1500w fat bike built too at some point :slight_smile:
im growing out of my 500w pre-build fast. Nothing wrong with it. just want MOAR POWERR

So you have this kit installed?

How easy was the conversion? I keep thinking I need an ebike just in case wife doesn’t keep up with the esk8

1 Like

no, but i’ve researched a lot on these hub kits, and they are pretty straight forward to install for a “builder” like us. And this one is of higher quality than the typical ebay voillamart hub kits (which are also bullet proof af).

The only tricky parts may be: mounting whatever battery you get (bolted on? removable? etc). And making all the wires neat. I would also recommend a torquearm for 500w+ kits.

And then there’s all the fun extras you’d inevitably add on such as: rear rack, fenders, panniers or front/seat/triangle bags, lights, etc But these are very straight forward to install

3 Likes

My biggest concern I’ve read about is front fork width being an issue.

You’ve got me interested haha

1 Like

yeah front hub kits are the easiest because you don’t have to deal with the chain wrap. A torquearm is a must because front forks are super skinny and are designed to freewheel.

The good thing about a front hub commuter, is that you can put the (smallish) battery and controller in a front basket/bag. This way all the wiring to the motor and lcd/throttle will be hidden pretty nicely in the front area. And the rest of the bike will still look super clean

2 Likes

Perfect for one of those beach cruiser style bikes :thinking:

1 Like

Really interested to see how this goes Tim, my wife is showing interest in riding as well. We both used to ride a lot back in the day but we’re woke now so electric or nothing.

3 Likes

I have one of the Bafang mini geared motors (from ebikes.ca) and a baserunner FOC controller/36V battery on a cheap single speed. It’s not a hot rod, but it pushes me along pretty quick on the flats (22-24mph) and makes my commute nice. The phaserunner style controllers are worth it, I blew some fets on an Infineon controller doing an aggressive full throttle hop down a curb.