Help choosing motors for mountainboard build

I’m looking for some advice on motors for an electric mountainboard build. It’ll be dual motor with 8" pneumatic tires, a 12s5p p42a battery, and Maker-x DV6 Pro VESC. I’m not looking to go 50mph over logs, but I would like enough torque to haul my 220lbs self up decent hills.
The motors I’m currently looking at are:

• Mboards 6368, which is my budget option and is a lot smaller than the others.
  • Flipsky 6384 140kv, this would be my top pick, except I’ve heard a lot about flipsky’s poor qc.
  • Torqueboards 6380, looks like a really solid motor, but I’m not sure if 190kv is low enough for my board.

Any suggestions would be awesome

Ratio?

With the DV6 Pro, you will have enough torque to haul you up any hill. I would recommend Flipsky BH 6384, those are tried and true. 170kv if you want some torque, 190kv if you want a bit more top end while sacrifice a bit of torque. I find that 170kv is sweet spot if you prefer torque. Or you can go all out and get a set of Reachers motors.

5 Likes

@bearlyrecognized
Oh good point, 72T on the wheel and 15/16T on motor.

@MichaelWA
Ok, so the flipsky motors are actually solid. I’ll probably go with those then. Thanks

Flipsky motors, usually good
Flipsky escs, usually questionable

Good to see you here homie!

5 Likes

Do keep in mind that Flipsky motors tend to “scream” at higher speed. Some people hate it, some like it.

4 Likes

@Venom121212
Ah gotcha. Yeah the forum’s proving to be helpful already!

@MichaelWA
Good to know, I doubt it’ll bother me too much

1 Like

If you’re in the US, I stock FS6384 motors and the shipping is free.

FYI, Boardnamics and flipsky seem to be the exact same motor. Made by same OEM.

Think thomas the tank engine and not “screaming”

Flupsky 6374 were great, i abused them till death… loved them

Flupsky 6384 are literally the worst thing about esk8 motors. The ones i have are lablelled BN but are flupsky produced, just badged.

Reacher are a decent option

I used to run it on belt drive so already loud motors gets even louder when I push it. Ngl I love that screech at top end with belts.

1 Like

They are. Only difference is that “mine” have different branding + custom motor shafts available.

I’ve not had much luck with BH Flipsky 6384s when running high amps.
The weird whining sound at a particular RPM is one thing but I’ve had magnets slip in the housing on multiple motors. (I run with belts pretty tight though as a brake heavy and been told this isnt good for the design of these motors).

My recommendation is the Radium Performance 6385s.

Edit: Been running a set of the Radiums on my commuter flawlessy for easily double the kms the Flipsky motors lasted on the same setup.

1 Like

Ik this is a lame rec idk w/e but the tb 6374s have 5mm bullet connecters and venting, im 250 and use a 1:5.4~ 190kv with a good battery.

The heat is the only issue i would consider. What about the lacroix overstock motors? Maybe change the ratio if possible to accomidate the motors.

Super weird but the issue goes away if i run 125mm solids… can go right through the speed range and its sweet. Change to 150mm solids and its back…

Motors shouldnt come with this level of fuckery

1 Like

Try lower KV

Those look like good motors, but at $300 each they’re a bit out of my current price range.

1 Like

IMO the only connectors that matter on a motor are the ones on the sensor wires. Those are more annoying to change since you need a crimping tool, new metal ends, and then the plastic housing bit. For phase wires you just solder off the default ones and solder on new ones. No need for specific tools (everyone should have an iron and if they don’t then at least it is a tool with a ton of uses).

Oh and add in heat shrink wrap if the connectors used don’t have a built in plastic shield/ cover or if you just hate fucking with that piece.

1 Like

I agree on the sensors. What motors have good solid sensors?

For people who don’t want to mess with crimping pins you can get pre-crimped connectors on eBay with like 7" of wire hanging off in various JST sizes from 2p to 10p.

2 Likes