HAYAKU | 10s5p single drive Haya HB83 shortboard

Oh, my nano x also has a really cool cruise control function where it likes to stay stuck on full throttle :joy:

6 Likes

Same :laughing: Luckily the one for my friend looks to be built perfectly, throttle doesn’t get stuck anywhere

2 Likes

I got that version too! In fact, mine came with cruise control enabled when I turned the throttle on the first time

5 Likes

Update! Build is done! :smiley:

Click here to read the full update. It's also in the first post.

I flew back to LV this week to finish the board. 1st thing I did was replace the BMS for one of the waterproof charge-only Chinese ones. Luckily the same balance lead connector fit, so I didn’t have to do much resoldering. I also swapped the soldered-in fuse with one of those plastic in-line fuse holders. This allows the fuse to be easily replaced in case of a faulty charger.

Then, instead of using the BMS e-switch, I put in a Flipsky smart anti-spark push-to-start switch. They actually use the same exact button as I had already epoxied in (also 5V), so all I had to do was resolder the wires :slight_smile: The push to start functionality is pretty janky I think; you kinda have to push it fast, and then stop it, for it to trigger. Having a button therefore is nice.

Finally, I was going to replace the motor mount with one from Whooshboards, but sadly I did not have the correct sized belt for that. (However, damn, that mount is awesome. So easy to assemble, highly recommend.) Luckily, I got new idlers in the mail from @Boardnamics that fit behind the wheel, allowing you to use whatever sized wheels you want. That + a 15T pulley, and having the belt a bit tighter than I’d like, eliminated any belt skipping.

I put the lid on, went for a test ride, and noticed that the battery cells must be jumping up and down on rough roads, so afterwards I put a layer of foam under the battery, and the lid still fit on :slight_smile: Here are the final pictures:

I also experimented with HFI, but it was always worse than running just in unsensored mode, so I stuck to that. Overall, I’m very happy with how this board turned out. While building I had my doubts if a short board so high from the ground would feel good, but it actually rides really well :smiley: The kicktail has so much clearance that you can easily do turns without scraping it against the ground.

At the moment vesc settings are:
60A; -40A Battery
50A; -50A Motor

Range should be ~45km
Max speed I think is around 37km/h
(Will update these values after they’ve been tested)

Cost

Since this build is my friend’s, I made sure to note down the price of every single component I bought. So in case you’re wondering what the real cost of an esk8 like this is (minus tools), here goes:

Part From where Price Shipping Total
Haya HB83 deck @bevilacqua 225.81€ included 225.81€
Maytech 150kv 6374 motor @seaborder 25€ 7.5€ 32.5€
motor bullet connectors @Klaerke91 5€ ??? 5€
motor mount and belt @Boardnamics 32.88€ 7.76€ 40.64€
new idler (2x) @Boardnamics 9.13€ 6.40€ 15.53€
Flywheel pulley @ShawnyP free included 0€
48x Samsung 30Q cells @PowadangaBoi 140.86€ included 140.86€
10x Samsung 30Q cells electricboardsolutions.com 44.95€ free 44.95€
Fishpaper electricboardsolutions.com 9.95€ free 9.95€
10mm x 0.15mm nickel electricboardsolutions.com 8.97€ free 8.97€
fishpaper rings electricboardsolutions.com 1.99€ free 1.99€
bearings electricboardsolutions.com 12.99€ free 12.99€
kapton tape electricboardsolutions.com 8.99€ free 8.99€
Khiro angled risers sickboards.nl 8.95€ free 8.95€
Caliber 2 trucks (50 and 44) blue-tomato.com 50€ 10€ 60€
Evolve 97mm GTR wheels evolveskateboards.de 119€ 14.80€ 133.80€
Enertion Focbox Enertion 120€ free 120€
Enertion Nano X remote @Moros 30€ 10€ 40€
10s 2A charger @Lobap 15€ 10€ 25€
Flipsky anti-spark switch AliExpress 41.34€ 4.16€ 45.50€
Waterproof BMS ebay 13.54€ free 13.54€
15t steel pulley @atenner 8.84€ 3.54€ 12.38€
4x regular riser pads local skate shop 10€ :walking_man: 10€
Bolts (hardware) local screw shop ~5€ :walking_man: 5€
Fuse holder ebay 0.35€ free 0.35€
Wires hobbyking.com ~15€ free 15€
XT-30 connectors hobbyking.com 2.20€ free 2.20€
Charge port @pjotr47 free free 0€
Heat shrink & solder local hardware store ~5€ :walking_man: 5€
Neutral cure silicon local hardware store 2€ :walking_man: 2€
Neopreme foam sheets Amazon 7€ prime baby! 7€

Total: 1053.90€

Not too bad if I say so myself :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Fun fact: while riding, I actually noticed the known vesc 4 hardware fault of slight loss of power near max speed. Nothing to kick you off, but you can definitely feel it with this motor :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Looks great!

I just got to New Zealand and took my Shortboard with me (Custom modular NESE pack). Very nice to bomb hills up and down :grin:

3 Likes

Thank you for the deck! (And excellent customer service of course) Although building in an integrated deck has its challenges, if you don’t try to fill it up to the brim like I did, it’s actually quite nice :slight_smile:

The one suggestion I would give to you when designing future models is to have the option for a stock placement of the power button and charge port. My solution with washers isn’t the prettiest solution in the world :laughing:

1 Like

Where’d you get the bottom skin done? Sender?
Looks so nice!

I had some discussions with my father regarding the power button placement (I was the one who decided not to add it). But you are probably right, at least an additional wire management channel would have been nice.

1 Like

That was done by my father and myself. We repaired some EU decks that were sent back + the remaining stock of the batch with glue issues.

GF reinforcement + Automotive paint

4 Likes

BRRUUH WHAT THE FUCK ARE THOSE TRUCK SCREWS LMAO

1 Like

I thought he used 3 Phillips and a square… Nope. Just Phillips being Phillips.

@rusins, you’re better than that

4 Likes

The Haya requires flat-head screws, and I needed them to be at least 60mm length (I think) for all the risers. My local screw shop was completely out of hex bolts that size, so I had to get stainless philips ones :sob:

I’ll hold back from being a dick about the fact McMaster has same day delivery in the majority of the U.S. since you’re in Latvia…

3 Likes

Minor updates:

• Put in a Metr pro. Found out that my friend’s consumption is usually 5Wh/km, which means this battery is good for like 100km range. So in hindsight: should not have made such a big and heavy battery :laughing:

• Replaced the motor mount. The Boardnamics one had idler issues:

• I was using the new idlers on the old mount (for wheel clearance), and the washers holding it would bend in the cutout that was too wide, and misalign it.
    • The idler shells get loose from the bearing, and then start scraping the mount.

We replaced it with a Whooshboards mount. These mount are awesome, because they have fixed holes for the angles (no threadlocker needed for those bolts), and the idlers just screw in from one side because the mount itself is threaded. The idler shells hold on to the bearing using a circlip, so they’ll never get loose! :smiley: (Small complaint to @Mikaelj – the washers in the idlers have their inner diameter slightly too large, so if you tighten the idlers down while the washer is hanging down, the circlip will bump into it. Easily fixable by holding the washer in place while you tighten down, but still.)

Also the Whooshboards mount is shorter (better for clearance), so I had to shorten the motor wires even more – look how cute it is now :heart_eyes:

So that’s the board at its current state now. One of the wheels got a small chunk, but they’re definitely softer than Boas, so it’s a comfort VS durability sacrifice.

4 Likes

I mount these circlip outwards and no washers on circlip side.

1 Like

Nice build!

Do you know if the 97mm evolve core is the same as the abec core. I vaguely remember reading they’re different so some press fit pulleys might not fit

I would guess that they use a genuine core, but I don’t know, sorry. Using a bolt on pulley with 3 bolts missing still :laughing:

Okay, I’ll try my luck. They do look the same, prob putting these on my friends HAYA

1 Like

Yeah they don’t fit abec pulleys at all. The core looks different from what they have in the pictures. Welp time to return them

Edit: They did change cores

1 Like