Has anyone worked out the power density of 21700 vs. 18650s?

By that I mean how much battery can fit x space compared. There is more dead space with 21700s and a larger overall area. Since they will not fit the exact same space, it requires some percent comparisons. I am not even sure how to make them equivalent. But I hope some have.

Also, how much with using glue staggered fit.

1 Like

This completely depends on the enclosure you are trying to use. Most enclosures these days are designed for 21700 cells. Almost nobody is using 18650 cells on new builds anymore.

Right, that is why any comparisons have to be a percentage, as the overall dims are larger with 21700s… There needs to be a scaling down of enclosure etc, to compensate. But I am still interested in the best use of space and all things considered, which is the better value. Given that 21700s are double the mahs, and only slightly a buck more per, I know it is more, but how much more. Also, I would be interested in how much more dense a staggered glued config is than stacked straight.

If you take the typical cells someone would use of each size (p28a and p42a) you get 2.8Ah/cell and 4.2Ah/cells. One is 18mm x 65mm and the other is 21mm x 70mm (roughly - molicel batteries are actually slightly larger).

p42a at $4.65/cell = $1.11/ Ah
p28a at $4.35/cell = $1.55/ Ah

So, you’re paying a 40% increase in price just for the privelige of using a smaller cell. It’s an awful deal unless you have a real good reason to use 18650s (like replacing a battery in an old evolve pack).

So, you

Yes, my constraint, was a double stack, narrow version, with a widened heatsink area, BB enclosure. As many have said, choose your deck, your enclosure and work from there. Since I am going drop thru, and have a double stack, clearance is an issue. I fit an 14s7p in there. It is way high performance for my needs. Even at 18650. And it is sleek. Low pro is my aim. Not dkp. 6.5 inch tires.

And so, till I really see a need, this is my power capability. Maybe someone will make an updated Hummie enclosure, for an extinct board. NOT.

But I am very curious, as to how much more power dense, 21700s are.

comparing cells to cells, it works out to be about the same afaik.

now pack wise, each is gonna be different depending on layout. in theory 18650 takes more footprint volume so it’s more dense in that aspect, cause smaller circles, means you can fit more, take more volume (i think)

but they are shorter.

soooooooo it all depends on your pack constraints.

1 Like

Sounds like the eboosted hummie enclosure is perfect for you.

I was afraid that one would be draggin ass.