Grub screw size question

Anyone happen to know what the dimensions of the grub/set screws used on the motor mounts on Psychotiller’s builds are? Trying to order a bag of replacements from McMaster Carr, but I’m pretty sure these grub screws are imperial not metric.

The screws I’m looking for clamp the motor mounts to the hanger for the heXL’s

1 Like

Holy shit, screws exists in imperial mesurment as well? Hopefully non of that stuff makes it over the pond.

Anyways, might be a stupid question, but tried measuring the screw? What sized hex-key fits?

4 Likes

I recommend a box of assorted sizes. Usually fairly cheap and you’ll have extras for other projects and such.

2 Likes

The hex key that fits is a 2.5mm or a 3/64, but thats not enough info to narrow down the choices.

I’ll look for a combo box as suggested.

M4 probably. But better off getting a combo box like @Saturn_Corp suggested just to be sure.

4 Likes

You might want to consider different trucks since hex xls are dangerous

1 Like

So is Esk8

1 Like

:expressionless:

Hangers snapping,bending

Bushings getting sliced

Axles backing out of hangers…

2 Likes

if you bring a remaining screw to a hardware store they have threaded plates with assorted thread sizes so you can see exactly what you’ve got.

7 Likes

Who goes to hardware stores anymore ? :laughing: how does it work anyways? Do you have to talk to actual people?
I hope they have screens to search for parts.

5 Likes

Gotta support these guys so we have somewhere to loot during the apocalypse

6 Likes

Lol, I’m dreading trying to take it in mostly because it multiplies the likelihood of losing the remaining grub screw by infinity.

@moon I’ve read all of the issues, and am aware of the risks. I’m careful enough and light enough and observant enough to take my chances with the hexl’s while I weigh options for replacement. These are not 1.0s, and I’ve fully disassembled them for inspection and careful reassembly with attention to detail. I don’t expect I’ll have any issues with them.

2 Likes

That’s the best freaking argument ever, gotta change my ways now.

@MiniChopper4Me that’s so true lol.

1 Like

Ace is the place! Ace Hardware for the win.

@longhairedboy they were M5

I’ve no idea what its like everywhere else, but in S. Florida, looking for hardware at a chain hardware store ie Home Depot or Lowes, you’ll be searching through essentially a giant bucket of screws. Noone organizes that shit, and customers can’t be bothered to put shit back where they got it.

1 Like

so not wrong. Same in Central Florida. There are no old school hardware stores. If it wasn’t for amazon, i wouldn’t have my own drawer of hardware-for-every-occasion.

2 Likes

The situation is pretty much the same here (sweden) as far as I’m aware. There’s plenty of options for larger screws but you gotta order these suckers online and it sucks to pay shipping for a couple of these. 3DServisas got me a couple of spares last time I ordered from them ^___^

@KfromtheBay

if you bring a remaining screw to a hardware store they have threaded plates with assorted thread sizes so you can see exactly what you’ve got.

Exactly… :point_up: In some the screw offering is impressive with multiple brands in Imperial and Metric. You can try them on the threaded plates to be 100% sure you getting the right standard and size.

@Tamatoa

Who goes to hardware stores anymore ? :laughing: how does it work anyways? Do you have to talk to actual people?
I hope they have screens to search for parts.

No hardware stores in the Society Islands? :smile:

2 Likes

We do only problem is most of the time the clerks don’t know anything about their products or anything tools or hardware related. Also, I learn diy and building stuff online in English and I don’t know the name of the parts in French :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Perhaps that gorgeous Tahitian Esk8erette the other day can help you out with the French terminology :wink:

1 Like

I wish :drooling_face:

1 Like