Grinding Avenue Suspension Trucks Dangerous?

Hey everyone, I’m relatively new to eskating and I’m planning to upgrade my board to use 180mm avenue Suspension Trucks. The roads in my area are really bad and I often have to ride up and down low sidewalk edges so the trucks are going to improve my ride a lot.

Now to the problem. The Suspension Trucks are not really made to fit motor mounts so I will have to grind an edge out of the curved support beam (marked in the picture)
I know this will weaken the structural integrity but I’m also really light (60kg / 132 lb)
Do you think it’s okay to grind the trucks?
If not do you know any alternatives?
Maybe I can use the spring part and combine it with another hanger?

1 Like

You would be better off carving out a notch in the mount, but removing they metal will be okay as long as you radius the cut to decrease stress concentration and don’t abuse it to much

2 Likes

Cant you just change the hanger?

3 Likes

Waiting for double spring trucks…

2 Likes

First, smart question.

Do not grind an Avenue hanger as it is made out of magnesium (high tensile strength, lightest weight, it will break).

The reason the Avenue hanger is magnesium is to offset the weight of the Avenue Spring Steel Base Plate for freestyle.

We solved this last year for hub motors, led by @donta42

I’ve asked @boardnamics to consider making the community a replacement Avenue 230mm hanger.

No other hanger will fit perfectly, yet there is a hack for the Avenue TKP base plates (not RKP) and Evolve TKP hangers that our own @sofu published earlier.

hope this helps my dude.

10 Likes

I would like to change the hanger. If you know a fitting one please let me know.
The problem is that just from pictures it’s really hard to find out what would fit. My current hangers certainly don’t fit because they are longer. The spring takes up space so the hanger is shorter than most others.

2 Likes

Sorry you lost me when you started talking about hub motors…

2 Likes

Careful! Magnesium can catch fire too :fire: maybe more so with a grinder, maybe use a file?

1 Like

Grinder no bueno

4 Likes

Goes off like a supernova. Ask my lower grammar chemistry teacher. Lit some ribbon up and dropped it in his gym bag.

3 Likes

Probably dead

2 Likes

You funny guy

1 Like

Ty for the warning. Solid Magnesium Alloys dont really catch on fire Its the dust that cough on fire so no matter if i use a file or grinder i have to be careful about the dust building up. I Still have mixed feelings about grinding them. It could break while going 50 in traffic or it could be totally fine. Only one way to find out i guess.

2 Likes

Yes, I know a solution, use the evolve hanger, I think it’s called a strut, Im currently building a board with these so email me and I will send u some pics of it (miskuhunor@gmail.com)