Green Bean | My First DIY Belt Driven Esk8! | Dual 270kv

Hi Everyone! Its currently 3 am and im sitting outside in the dark being eaten by mosquitos, for yall.
This post might be all over the place and there will be several edits/updates/replies so just bare with me. First lets start with a back story, I got into Esk8 about 7 months ago when I was looking for something to get me out of the house, I bought a Teemo m1 hub board ordered a bigger battery, made a enclosure that let me swap batteries out on the go, fastest I ever got it on a flat road was 26 mph and I got ~25 mile range I rode the shit out of this board, until I accidentally sent it into the ocean while trying to take a picture of the waves (there was no getting it back), so now I was out of a board, so I took this as a sign that I should build a better board, and also to not drive stuff into water. The Start of the actual build will be below :slight_smile: Its name is Green Bean because thats what my mom said it should be, I couldn’t tell you why

Ok so after losing my old board (I still had the newer battery I bought) I started looking for new parts, I ended up ordering everything but the battery from @ZachTetra who not only gave me a great deal but also helped me every step of the way and was more than happy to answer all my questions.

Parts list goes something like this:

• FSESC 6.6 plus singles (with heatsink cases) x2
  • PropDrive 270kv 5060 motor x2
  • 15:35 dickyho bolt on pulley w/ 265mm belts
  • Some generic trucks (pretty sure they are from the Dickyho kit) what I bought
  • A bluetooth module
  • Apache 1800 Case (everything listed so far I bought from @ZachTetra)
  • And a Loaded Tan Tien Deck.
  • Oh and my 10s3p 7.5ah ride1up battery which luckily wasnt in in my board when it went into the water.

Ok now for some pictures, I will try and upload these pictures in chronological order, I didnt take too many but I will be posting more.

Scooped this sweet loaded deck for $40

The parts Arrived!

Laid it all outside on a work bench but it was way too hot so I took it in.

Immediately took it inside because its fuckig hot in Florida

Put the trucks together with the motors and what not and laid them plus the vesc’s out to do a bench run

Everything works! now I tried to figure out how I wanted to mount the case, I went with mounting it going left to right in relation with the board, works great as a foot stop + sitting down feels so sturdy!

Plus I get a carry handle! Wow!

Smushed these guys in

Drilled and installed these water proof thingys Zach included (thanks fam)

Smushed the battery in

Doggo break!
Make sure you guys have drank plenty of water today

Now its pretty much done!

I need to take the motors off and rotate them once so I have more wire to work with, currently it unplugs when I turn sometimes cause its super tight, unfortunately I stripped one of the cheap Chinese screws with my cheap Chinese harbor freight hex key.

Oh and it stands up by itself! It literally just is vibing in this pic, it perfectly can be stood up vertically, idk how that worked out.

So after building the board I only got to ride it for 5 minutes before it got dark but I hit 23 mph on the slow mode and it had more in that mode (has low and high mode) my last board went 26 mph in its fast mode, I will get a high mode top speed in when I wake up later, but its probably going to hit around 34-35 mph, I will more than likely be switching to a bigger motor pully very soon as well because Exway is sending me there “new” 105mm cloud wheels for winning the little reddit competition they ran. I do plan on getting a battery that will get me 30+ range in the future and I will have that on the bottom and the box will be removed, but im broke right now so that will have to wait, anyone got any ideas as to the cheapest way to do that?

Well guys I think thats all I have for now its 4 am, 1 full hour writing this so far, for yall. Will update it and reply to any questions. Cheers!

I want to give a huge shout out to @ZachTetra I contacted him for advice on the build and ended up buying most of the parts off him for a great price, he made me a loop key and did all of the soldering for me just to help me out. He shipped the parts out the next morning and I got them 2 or 3 days later, he walked me through every single step that I was having trouble with and probably would of built a bomb without him, by far the most professional and pleasant experience I have ever had buying something from someone. Thank you Zach, I appreciate you :slight_smile:

13 Likes

nice man, glad you’re having fun! You managed to get both ESC’s and the battery in that little box? I’m surprised how much speed you’re getting with a 3s10p, I wouldn’t expect to hit 25mph even with that. Cheers tho, glad it’s working out sounds like you’re having a blast!

3 Likes

Bruh. u running a vesc based system on around 11V?
Y u do dis?

5 Likes

10s3p**

4 Likes

ok that makes alot more sense lol

1 Like

That was a its 2 am and im a little high error, 10s3p**

1 Like

Going to sleep now, will check replies in the morning, cheers!

1 Like

yeah you’re gonna be able to go fast af with this setup. What’s the torque like?

1 Like

It’s actually not as bad as I expected. It’s atleast as good as or better than my old board which had meepo v1 hub clones on it.

Any belt driven setup will eat hubsetup in terms of torque and efficiency, you’ll lose some top speed and the sweet sweet freecoasting but thats it

2 Likes

Actually I’d say belts are better about freecoasting than hub motors or gear drive.

If I have a severe problem and need to push, I can cut the belts off with a pocket knife and have literally zero resistance from the drive train — better than hub motors. Then it’s like a $7 fix when I get home for new belts. Totally worth it in the super-rare case when you need that. But then when you aren’t pushing, you get all the other benefits of belts :+1:

1 Like

Theres nothing more underwheling then going full throttle, letting go and feeling the drag from the belts. I fucking hate it so much. I’m an advocate for the practical advantages to having a gearing ratio, lately, I’ve realised how much I’ve missed a more true longboard feel tho. A need the hubs fill very well for me. Also, the stealthyness, no noise. Just the friction to the wheels and the wind. mhm baby take me now.

Going uphill is a nono tho.

4 Likes

you can try and fix that by loosening your belts maybe, im running idlers on my board and can have the belts really loose without skiping. ever. freeroll is about as good as my hubs i would say. But then again im running 5045s right now so they will not have that much resistance.

also love the build, nice and practical! where did you even get that deck for so cheap, im so envious

2 Likes

nice! my only concern is with that box location - are you worried you will get wheelbite with that setup? I’m wondering if that is what is causing it to unplug when you turn, maybe it bites the cable in between the board?

2 Likes

my old board went up hills like a champ, I was always confused on what everyone was talking about, I mean it was a little slower than on a flat but I never was like having to push to help it out.

Offer up! Its all about building a good relationship with the person first, I happened to buy it on 4/20 so we had some funny stuff to talk about before I hit him with the “well hey, I can come get it today for $40, I will turn it into something really cool” he wanted $60 or $50 if I picked it up, but he said he could do that, guy even offered me a dab but with corona virus going around I decided to pass on that one haha.

2 Likes

the unplugging is simply due to wire a and wire b being very tightly plugged into each other with like no slack at all, so when the trucks turn the only thing they can do is unplug.

[quote=“Anxieme, post:1, topic:26428”]
unfortunately I stripped one of the cheap Chinese screws with my cheap Chinese harbor freight hex key.
[/quote]

got that little bitch out

2 Likes

Skated to a few of your tracks today man, thanks for the listen :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Ayyyy thank you so much omg that made my day! Where did you find my music?

2 Likes