GP Evolution, 4WD, sexy TKP trucks, wireless enclosure™, and more

31 January, 2022

Custom printed pulleys to make the Stooge wheels work with my belt drive.

8 Likes

1 February, 2022

Aaand… it fits like a glove! As usual! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

4 February, 2022

The most beautiful trucks ever arrived from @Savage1. :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

9 February, 2022

Almost finished installing! Now I only have the wheels to put on. How hard can that be. Right?

5 Likes

11 February, 2022

Completely straightforward. I basically just put them on. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

27 June, 2022

Now that I have race wheels installed, a bit more power would come in handy. Starting to plan a 4WD.

5 Likes

28 June, 2022

Progress!

4 Likes

30 June, 2022

4WD rebuild finished! It’s not perfect. I don’t have the original mounts for the front truck and I use my custom mounts instead. Those sit closer to the edges of the hanger and don’t leave enough space on the axle for the Stooge wheels. So I put my good old Trampa wheels instead.

Also, doing this properly would require to completely rebuild the battery so that I can route the wires through the middle of the deck. That would be a ton of work so instead I kept the second ESC in the bottom enclosure and ran extra pair of discharge wires through the back of the enclosure in a rather ugly way. To be fixed soon™.

6 Likes

4 August, 2022

Upgrade time! Metal > not metal.

8 Likes

18-26 October, 2022

I rode the board in the makeshift state for close to 4 months because:

The time has come to finally bite the bullet.

First, more “metal > not metal” upgrades to the ESC enclosure. I replaced the bottom with an aluminum piece from a send-cut-send like service. It just needed a little of sanding and tapping the holes.

Drilled the deck to run wires through:

I took apart the battery and re-arranged it as follows:

There’s apparently a lot of unused space. I should be able to fit in 14 more cells by re-arranging from 12S5P to 16S4P. However, that would require redoing the P-groups and changing the ESCs, so I’m leaving that as future work. :sweat_smile:

I bolted several 3D printed parts to the deck that prevent the battery from moving side to side. I decided not to put any heatshrink on the battery since (1) it would be difficult to put on given the layout, and (2) I didn’t have any on hand anyway. :slight_smile:

I have a layer of cardboard and foam between the battery and the enclosure. It’s thick enough exactly such that the enclosure gently presses against the battery to keep it in place but at the same time it doesn’t stress the wires.

The ESC case finally got a charge port. No more snapped hinges. :slight_smile:

I decided to go for symmetry and put four 6355 Maytech motors. This is a bit of a downgrade in terms of power. Previously I had two 6385 and two 6355. On the other hand, the Maytechs are lighter and have a much better free-roll. This makes a big difference when I grab the front truck and pull the board around. Also the consumption is lower.

There’s still more than enough power for casual riding. Once the race season is back, I may swap for four 6385s.

I also put my second pair of Trampa wheels in the rear because symmetry is symmetry. :slight_smile:

Wireless enclosure™!!! :slight_smile:

And that’s about it! For now…

22 Likes

Beautiful build! Not gonna lie I was very much thinking about doing the same concept for my MTB with the esc case but I ended up just doing a small to box+esc instead.

Really like the look of all the connectors/glands going to the esc case! What kind did you use?

1 Like

Thanks!

Actually, I wish I knew! :sweat_smile: I purchased 10 glands long ago because I thought they looked cool and maybe I’ll make a good use of them one day. And then, much later, they turned out to be a great fit for this ESC box. However, I was 2 short, so I went looking for an extra pair. I ended up purchasing these from AliExpress (no longer available), which looked the same on the product picture but are in fact slightly different. You will notice it if you look carefully. What’s worse, they come with slightly larger nuts and were really difficult to install in the tight space.

2 Likes

Man this thing is looking sweet Jan!!!

Something about the centre mounted esc box is so pleasing for me, and your implementation looks great!

The concave pads are the perfect way to route the wires, it’s like it was meant to be!

Awesome work dude :clap::clap::clap:

9 Likes

I know, right?! Exactly. It all somehow played nicely together at the end. I got lucky again. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the kind words! :heart:

3 Likes

Bro, that esc enclosure and wiring is absolutely gorgeous.

7 Likes

This is literally my dream build. What was the total cost if you don’t mind me asking?

2 Likes

Thanks! No idea about the cost. A rough guess would be around 2000 EUR. There’s not a lot of premium parts, except for the trucks but I didn’t pay for those since Phil wanted me to test them and didn’t want to take money. I had to beg him to at least allow me to send him a DAVEGA as a small compensation. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

3 January, 2013

GP was nominated for BOTY 2012. Yay! :tada:

@BenjaminF, please use this one as my glamour shot. Cheers!

9 Likes

Hey @janpom, did you ever run this with the mismatched motors?
I’m about to try this tomorrow just as a way to get by till some high temp glue comes to fix my motor.

Not quite as drastic of size difference as yours🤣

1 Like

Yes, I did run it. It worked fine. :slight_smile: It actually worked despite of the fact the motors have different kv. Just go for it. You’ll be good.

1 Like