GP Evolution, 4WD, sexy TKP trucks, wireless enclosure™, and more

2 September 2021

Time to admit that riding a deck with no concave kinda sucks. :sweat_smile:

On the other hand, a half-binding is so much easier to install on a flat deck! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

3 September, 2021

Mismatched motors exceed expectations!

7 Likes

7 September, 2021

… nevertheless, symmetry is symmetry. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

7 October, 2021

Time to admit it. Even if you add a half-binding, riding a flat deck kinda sucks.

But! You can always add custom concave pads!

8 Likes

29 November, 2021

Time for a bigger battery! I’m out of fishpaper and who would want to fiddle with it anyway?! 3D print all the things!

7 Likes

30 November, 2021

Pre-tinning wires – the easy way!

10 Likes

30 November, 2021

More progress!

7 Likes

2 December, 2021

Battery finished, fused, installed and it doesn’t even fall off the deck when flipped over! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

18 January, 2022

Stooge monster wheels arrived. Time to get them installed.

7 Likes

26 January, 2022

Amortizing my new toy professional equipment.

4 Likes

31 January, 2022

Custom printed pulleys to make the Stooge wheels work with my belt drive.

8 Likes

1 February, 2022

Aaand… it fits like a glove! As usual! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

4 February, 2022

The most beautiful trucks ever arrived from @Savage1. :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

9 February, 2022

Almost finished installing! Now I only have the wheels to put on. How hard can that be. Right?

5 Likes

11 February, 2022

Completely straightforward. I basically just put them on. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

27 June, 2022

Now that I have race wheels installed, a bit more power would come in handy. Starting to plan a 4WD.

5 Likes

28 June, 2022

Progress!

4 Likes

30 June, 2022

4WD rebuild finished! It’s not perfect. I don’t have the original mounts for the front truck and I use my custom mounts instead. Those sit closer to the edges of the hanger and don’t leave enough space on the axle for the Stooge wheels. So I put my good old Trampa wheels instead.

Also, doing this properly would require to completely rebuild the battery so that I can route the wires through the middle of the deck. That would be a ton of work so instead I kept the second ESC in the bottom enclosure and ran extra pair of discharge wires through the back of the enclosure in a rather ugly way. To be fixed soon™.

6 Likes

4 August, 2022

Upgrade time! Metal > not metal.

8 Likes

18-26 October, 2022

I rode the board in the makeshift state for close to 4 months because:

The time has come to finally bite the bullet.

First, more “metal > not metal” upgrades to the ESC enclosure. I replaced the bottom with an aluminum piece from a send-cut-send like service. It just needed a little of sanding and tapping the holes.

Drilled the deck to run wires through:

I took apart the battery and re-arranged it as follows:

There’s apparently a lot of unused space. I should be able to fit in 14 more cells by re-arranging from 12S5P to 16S4P. However, that would require redoing the P-groups and changing the ESCs, so I’m leaving that as future work. :sweat_smile:

I bolted several 3D printed parts to the deck that prevent the battery from moving side to side. I decided not to put any heatshrink on the battery since (1) it would be difficult to put on given the layout, and (2) I didn’t have any on hand anyway. :slight_smile:

I have a layer of cardboard and foam between the battery and the enclosure. It’s thick enough exactly such that the enclosure gently presses against the battery to keep it in place but at the same time it doesn’t stress the wires.

The ESC case finally got a charge port. No more snapped hinges. :slight_smile:

I decided to go for symmetry and put four 6355 Maytech motors. This is a bit of a downgrade in terms of power. Previously I had two 6385 and two 6355. On the other hand, the Maytechs are lighter and have a much better free-roll. This makes a big difference when I grab the front truck and pull the board around. Also the consumption is lower.

There’s still more than enough power for casual riding. Once the race season is back, I may swap for four 6385s.

I also put my second pair of Trampa wheels in the rear because symmetry is symmetry. :slight_smile:

Wireless enclosure™!!! :slight_smile:

And that’s about it! For now…

22 Likes