Got my Li-Po batteries. How would I connect it in series?

Batteries came in the mail today, I’m getting a smart BMS and a harness. I got two Lipos so how would I need to connect them in series and would a 12awg work since the wires on the battery is 10awg?

1 Like

Label them 1 and 2

positive on battery 1 goes to positive of xt60 connector.
negative on battery 1 goes to positive of battery 2
negative of battery 2 goes to negative of the xt60 connector in step 1

and yes 12awg is fine. Do you have xt60 connectors? Have you practiced soldering?

1 Like

I have XT-90

ok. Do you have xt90 connectors? whats the connector on your vesc?

I still have to solder a connector onto the VESC and yes I got XT-90 connectors, I’ve been practicing soldering but I noticed my mistake when I tried to solder the 12 awg wire to a practice connector that I didn’t keep it on so I’ve been doing research and will practice again when the heat goes down, also need to get the smart BMS and harness to connect it into

Ok then. Practice your soldering first. when you get that nailed, follow the directions I posted.Use xt90 instead of xt60. its fine.

Also, you have a multimeter?

Will do, I’m waiting on my wheels, still need to order the BMS and harness. So once I get everything, I’ll start a build thread

No I don’t got a multimeter, could just ask a neighbor and just borrow one

1 Like

Put the batteries in the enclosure so you can measure the length of your wires before you solder them.

For the battery harness to connect in series?

yes :+1:

Alright, you think I should drill holes under the enclosure for ventilation? I guarantee it’ll be hot when all that stuff is on, would it best if I do that to keep everything cool?

Nah. its fine. Its a single drive and you are light.

Ok cool, what kind of threadlocker would you recommend, especially for the motor mount, would be easy to remove if change the gearing later on?

*if I change the gearing later on

loctite 243.

Ok, thank you. One last question and I’ll save everything else till it’s time to put all of this stuff together, when winter comes and it comes to putting the batteries in storage, should I discharge it to 3.6v? And store it for example in the house

discharge to 3.8/3.85 volts per cell for storage. 3.6v is for li-ions.

3.8 for both lipos and the discharge while riding so it’s not completely drained