Glossary of Terms

Go for it

1 Like

I’ve needed to read this sentence for so long

4 Likes

I can do a better picture if you like @wandagoner. Really stoked on your thread!

1 Like

3 Likes

the image you posted is good but if there is a better way to showcase the difference between TKP and RKP trucks please post it and we’ll leverage it. thanks again!

@Venom121212 Justin, i started the markup formatting clean up however it will be an iterative process as time allows. again great suggestion and i should have started with the appropriate format at the onset :dizzy_face:

added!

illustration of 50% duty cycle during a single BLDC commutation:

(the actual frequency would be on the order of 20-40 thousand cycles per second)

and some explanations for the illustration:

2 Likes

illustration of a BLDC electrical revolution at 50% duty cycle (as in ERPM or electrical revolutions per minute)…

*the sequence of phase changes are not necessarily in the correct order, but the possible combinations are:

• red -> green
  • red -> blue
  • green -> red
  • green -> blue
  • blue -> red
  • blue -> green

^1 electrical revolution cycles through all these combinations, and that happens 7 times per motor rotation assuming 14 magnets

1 Like

FUB? Funked Up Britisherunits?

Edit:
by which I mean i kinda know what it means but I don’t know what it stands for.
But, I think i finally found it. unless this one is also sarcastic. “Freedom Unit BullS***”

1 Like

Very informative…I’m still confused about Max brake regen and max brake current. Currently I have my max brake regen set to -24A and Max brake current is set to -54. My brakes are fine the way they are now, I got those settings from a thread but I dont understand them. They appear to do the same thing according to the info in this thread. Can someone please explain…

1 Like

i think this is lazy typing on my part.

Max Brake Current: how much current can be applied for braking force. the lower the value the stronger the braking force. eg -(54) is stronger than -(24).

Max Brake Regen: how much of the braking current is directed back to the battery to charge. couple of schools of thought on this one. some say:

• “high regen current is fine as it’s only for a few seconds”
    or
  • “you dont charge your battery at more than (5)amps why regen higher and risk harming the battery”
1 Like

So -24 is to high for a 12s6p. This number wont change braking strength…correct?

2 Likes

I assume you are referring to the -(24)A brake regen in the other post.

Correct Max Brake Regen will not impact your braking strength

There are differing schools of thought on this number. some say that the battery is fine to accept higher current for short bursts and point to the discharge rate as a supporting metric.

Personally i set my regen to be -(7.5)a per motor on 12s4p P42a cells. this is my personal preference and i have not had issues. your mileage may vary. I appreciate this response is not likely the definitive one you were looking for.

2 Likes

It helps a lot…thx. think I’m going with a lower value. I like to play it extra safe when it comes to batteries.

3 Likes

Yes, most go -12 to -15 here.

3 Likes

Yeah I was thinking like -12 myself…thx

@linsus
can you please validate the definitions i just added - keep in mind i’m trying to distill down to a pedestrian level of understanding with links for people self educate by diving deeper

2 Likes

I’m not so familiar with the abbreviasions in english but I know most of them in Swedish :sweat_smile:
Most of these are pretty awkward to put into sensible words but looks like you got it down pretty well.
Only thing that you could underline more is that emf directly correlates to the change/variation in the magnetic flux/field(like a sinewave f.e) you can still have a potential in the circuit without variation in the field. If that makes any sense at all :rofl:

Isnt Back emf technically the same thing? It just specifies the direction?
This case the motor creating the variation in the flux/field -> emf ?:exploding_head:

1 Like