Gear Drive for Electric Skateboard, which one is the best?

Wow, so many brands are switching to gear drive, it sounds interesting. But I really want to know which one is the best? :thinking: Meepo Gear Drive,many people praise it, but it looks plastic and I doubt if it is solid. Exway also release gear drive, but I do not see any review on it. How about this one? Eovan Gear Drive looks nice, but they show so small information and I wasn’t 100% convinced.

3 Likes

I’d check out Boardnamics m1 Drives, Apex Jump Drives, or Newbee 4GS Drives… seems to be the most popular trio these days

9 Likes

good gear drives use all metal gears.

I wouldn’t trust anything using plastic gears.

7 Likes

The newbee drives with the double gear have been pretty reliable for me. Having dual gears to distribute the load I think makes them a lot more durable.

Will be interesting to see how the meepo and exway ones do.

Eovan ones look cool but it’s the same as Superbeast. If their material choice was not correct, the idler gear will likely break

8 Likes

Oh, sounds nice. I should learn more about these drives :thinking:

4 Likes

Yes, so dangerous :scream:

1 Like

huh

4 Likes

The best gear drives use a drive gear and a belt to power the wheel gear.

4 Likes

Stooge race boards open gear drive is awesome. Super loud though.

5 Likes

I still like my teeth, and I’d like to live

2 Likes

Ive put some hard kms on mine and teeth remain perfect. Are you talking about gear teeth or your teeth though lol?

Just need to set them with a wee bit of wiggle room.

3 Likes

my teeth probably isn’t gonna stay intact if things get jammed in gear teeth

4 Likes

I would call that a dad joke but given your loss of teeth I would call it a Great Gearte Grandpa joke.

1 Like

Yeah stooge gears are street/track gears. I wouldnt use offroad.

*edit: apparently they go just fine offroard on gravel and sticks. So good to know.

1 Like

Apex jump drives are on sale right now :fire:

3 Likes

I’m curious if there are any actual instances of the SRB gears jamming during street/track use. I haven’t read about any.

3 Likes

I’ve been using @3DServisas gear drives for years now without any failures. They are also highly customizable, many gearing ratios available and tons of color options

13 Likes

We ride open gear drives in the dirt and gravel.

I had a napkin get wound up on my 78mm wheel mod.8 setup.

On the Mod 1.5 open gear. coarse wet sand is a problem.

Never had a rock, twig or road debris create an issue.

7 Likes

A plastic bag getting wound up would be a concern to me. Ive heard of them getting sucked up by flywwheels and wrapped around the torque converter.
To be fair, many if our drivetrains could be susceptible to them, just yours a little more.

3 Likes

Good to know. I’ll edit my previous post :blush: