Gear drive 30 inch board? Possible?

Would it be possible to do a 12s4p with dual or even AWD on a flat 30 inch deck? Or do I need a 40?

I just never see 30 inch belt or gear driven boards

2 Likes

Not only possible, but popular.

Check this out:

And look for “The Blue One” build, which is a great commuter solution. I can’t remember the length, but it’s tidy as hell.

@b264

4 Likes

There are some really nice shorter gear boards in here as well:

Not sure about gear-drive, no reason you couldn’t, but there have been many belt-driven short boards and I highly recommend them. It’s my #1 preferred design.

Saw this the other day when I was moving sales threads:

Can put a nice beefy single motor on that and have a great gear shortie.

@linny What’s the biggest motor you can see working with this?

2 Likes

If you go bevel gear drive, you can have huge motors on calibers

3 Likes

12s4p might be tricky to get under the deck, but that’s all depends on the enclosure for sure.

Small deck should play to it’s strength of weight/power imo.

3DServisas
eToxx
Haggy
Kaly
Moon
MorrisHsu

Have options, some have bevel gears for silence already, others have bevel in the making. MorrisHu is a bit different insofar as the drives jut the motors out the end.

1 Like

Oh, right. MorrisHsu drive. Nice.

What’s the setup on your Astronaut Unicorn board again? I’m dumb.

12s3p. 10s4p is easy possible as well. for 12s4p you will need to be good in the battery layout and need small escs for sure and probably no space for a bms

1 Like

if your serious about AWD and gear drives then both @IDEA and @3DServisas have made micro gear-drives for 5065 motors that are very compact

i recomend going and reading these for inspiration

3 Likes

6880s perhaps. Damn that’ll be a strong single drive.

Edit, 6880s will not fit a urethane gear drive. The can will hit the hangar. Most gear drives have about 5mm or so clearance from the motor can and hangar on 63xx motors.

1 Like

I got wheel slippage from standstill running a single 170kv 6374 motor with Popoca wheels lol. Sure, there are grippier wheels, but what I’m saying is that on Urethane I don’t think it makes sense to have a beefier motor per wheel than that. :smiley:

2 Likes

I prefer the @torqueboards TB6380 on single drives. On the rear heelside wheel.

1 Like

Gear Drive is actually pretty sweet on a smaller setup.

Because for GD it’s actually positioned as close to the truck as possible vs a belt you obviously don’t put it as close to the truck as possible.

1 Like

Don’t forget the @moon lycan drive

4 Likes

4dw on a short board… it can be done but it would be heavy and probably too much power to stay on.
You’d probably need to forward mount the front motors.

1 Like

Are you going to sell a 30" or just a 40"?

1 Like

@Underoath888 We’ll have a 30" also.

1 Like