Fuse for dummies.

The blade ones have been perfect for me.

The cylinder ones have melted after many vibrations and charges.

2 Likes

I have a couple taped to the inside of my MTB enclosure along with the 5.5x2.5 barrel to XT60 adapter :grin:

Never had to pull them off

1 Like

I have been using these tiny axial fuses for PCBs.

They are very easy to use and very compact (basically same size as the wire). They are only rated 32V but they can handle 12S just fine as long as you don’t push the current to the limit. I have a 10A fuse and I charge at 4A. I’ve been using it forever and the fuse has only blown on me once when I actually shorted the charge port.

3 Likes

real men dont use fuses #fireworks

3 Likes

even with a 10A fuse it has a good spark show.

The real fuse are the friends we make along the way?

4 Likes

in this case the ones you burn the bridge with

fusez

Ya. The more I think about it, the more I realize the blade style might be a better product for our purposes. Simple.

2 Likes

I was using those on all my custom batteries a while back as well. I loved them because they could just live in line with the wire coming out the back of the charge port. I even sold pre-fused charge ports using these in my website.

The issue is that customers would forget they are there, and then I would end up with a bunch of midnight texts from a panicking @DerelictRobot who thought he toasted his BMS :rofl:

I use fuse holders and blade fuses now.

5 Likes

how do these indicate that they have blown? Do they pop or discolor in some way?

They shouldn’t pop, but they do turn brown.

1 Like

you could probably see that color change through clear heat shrink then. But blades make more sense if you have the room.

1 Like

Did y’all know there’s a better way?

4 Likes

Why though? You are just soldering one set of press-fit pins onto a different set of press-fit pins and tripling the BOM cost. Why not just use the press-fit pins of the fuse?

4 Likes

The fuse holder is $2 each, same for an XT60, and they are about the same size…this is just cooler

Edit: Fuse holder is 10 for $11, XT60 is 12 for $8

Yeah, but every time you want to replace a fuse you either have to desolder the fuse and solder a new one, or use a new XT60 (and still solder). At that point, screw the fuse holders AND the XT60, just solder the leads straight to the fuse. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Fuses shouldn’t be needing to be replaced often.

I love this

1 Like

as aesthetically pleasing as this is to me, my only gripe is you shouldnt need to change fuses like ever, so this just becomes a poor use of space IMO. I’ve never had to swap a fuse since I fuse for 2.5x my max charge rate

2 Likes