FSESC 4.12 persistent "WATCHDOG_RESET" fault

Hi all, I am at a loss with my DIY mini board. When accelerating or braking under load the board almost instantly cuts out. When I plug it in, VESC tool shows a “FAULT_CODE_BOOTING_FROM_WATCHDOG_RESET” error. The attached image shows the error in VESC_Tool.

The fault is only while accelerating or braking under load, doesn’t happen during detection or while spinning up motor on the bench. I have tried a ton of different motor/battery current settings and the error persists regardless of how low/high the current is set at. Voltage settings are correct.

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or comments I would love to hear them. I’m really struggling to find a solution to this issue!

Full specs:
EVE 25P 18650 10s2p pack with Daly BMS (charge only)
Flipsky FSESC 4.12 ESC (loop key to turn on)
Pre-loaded 5.2 firmware
Flipsky VX1 Remote & Receiver
Single Flipsky 6354 140KV motor
MBoards 16t/36t pulley kit
3D Printed PETG enclosure

VESC_Tool Settings:
Battery max Discharge: 40A
Battery max Charge: -8A
Absolute Max Current: 120A
Motor Max Discharge/Charge: about 45A/-45A (settings from detection)

Things I’ve (unsuccessfully) tried:
-Changing battery/motor current values - Flipsky support confirmed they are correct
-Replaced the 140KV 6354 motor
-Tried brand new replacement FSESC 4.12 in case first one was damaged
-Halving observer gain in VESC tool
-Switching from UART to PPM remote control
-Shielding VESC from possible EMFs caused by power/phase wires
-Decoupling capacitor between 5v and ground on receiver to remove noise from power supply
-Relocate antenna to top side of board to remove possibility of interference
-Tried BLDC instead of FOC mode
-Used VESC_Tool 3.00 for setup per Flipsky’s recommendation

I suspect you have some toasted hardware. Every time I’ve gotten a watchdog fault, it’s because the ESC shut itself off to protect itself from catastrophic failure

I thought the ESC was fried when it first happened. I contacted Flipsky support and eventually got a replacement FSESC 4.12, but the same thing is happening with the new ESC. Nothing looks obviously burnt out, MOSFETs look fine to the naked eye.

Are you absolutely sure that your battery is healthy? We’ve seen a shit ton of batteries that pretend to be ok on the bench then fall of a cliff when pressed to supply power under load.

I guess that’s my next step. Any good way of testing the battery you know of? I have an old Meepo 10s battery that should be good, I’ll try swapping that in and see if it makes a difference.

2 Likes

Either that or borrowing a known good battery.

Just swapped in a different 10s battery that I don’t use anymore, and it seems to have fixed the problem! Hoping I don’t jinx it by saying this, but I think the issue has been solved! I guess it was the battery all along. Thanks for the suggestion!

Any idea what could have been wrong with the old battery that was causing this issue? It always read proper voltage on the indicator gauge…

1 Like

Could have been taken too low at some point, or there’s something wrong with the construction. Either way, not much use trying to fix it.